Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Spherical Bearings
Bananaman

posted on 10/12/04 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Spherical Bearings

Has anyone used spherical bearings on the upright/wheel end of their top and bottom wishbones. We use them on oval race cars and they are excellent.

Cheers
Michael

Mix

posted on 10/12/04 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'm planning to use a single rose joint on the outboard end of my upper rear wisbones coupled with double rose joints on the inboard end of the lower wishbones to allow me to adjust camber, toe and to a slight extent track on the IRS.
Bottom wishbones and uprights finished, just the top bones to sort out

Mick

Rob Lane

posted on 10/12/04 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a Westie fully kitted out. Rescued attachment westie01.jpg
Rescued attachment westie01.jpg

posted on 10/12/04 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I was told that it depends on what you use the car for.If it's for daily use than the Rose joints are a bad choice 'cause the ride is supposed to be harsher and the Rose joints wear out relatively quick in daily use.
This doesnt help you much, is it

[Edited on 10/12/04 by Cita]

Bananaman

posted on 11/12/04 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
When I said about spherical bearings I didn't mean rose joints, just bearings in a cup. I'll try and get some pics and post. We use them in F2 Stock Car and they just don't wear out.

Cheers
Michael

posted on 11/12/04 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
I received a U2U from a very knowledgable person that the rose joint wear out quickly due the lack of lubrication.
If lubricated properly than a spherical bearing will last as long as any other bearing.
So to answer your question Bananaman:it can be done without problems

Rorty

posted on 13/12/04 at 03:33 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, the metal-tometal bearings will wear out very quickly. Don't be tempted to fit any of the washers with the bonded neoprene seals. They are worse than useless. The road dirt still gets past them and is then pretty well mixed with the grease into a substance like grinding paste.
The best bearings for harsh environments are the PTFE lined ones. The PTFE is a precision layer, retaining the accuracy of the unit, but also acts like a wiper seal, keeping the dirt out. Do not lubricate these bearings, the PTFE does it all.

Here's a spherical bearing "I prepared earlier." Rescued attachment wishbone03.jpg
Rescued attachment wishbone03.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 13/12/04 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cita
I received a U2U from a very knowledgable person that the rose joint wear out quickly due the lack of lubrication.
If lubricated properly than a spherical bearing will last as long as any other bearing.
So to answer your question Bananaman:it can be done without problems

In club racing best practice is to use WD40 to clean and lubricate rose joints after every run.

gazza285

posted on 13/12/04 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
"I see trouble ahead"
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 13/12/04 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
"I see trouble ahead"

No trouble. Syd paint's a bad enough image of himself without me having to lend him a hand.
He'll probably keep up his intricate vindetta until he dies, so I've learned to accepted it. The police, my ISP and my web host are all aware of him too.
It's quite funny really, even though he's offered, I've never met the bloke!

He's gone right off the rails this time. I've not sent any "impolite messages via u2u, to people relating to this thread" (if any of you know different, please step forward), and I can confirm I haven't received any "rude messages" relating to this thread either, not even from Syd. Weird!

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

gazza285

posted on 13/12/04 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
He does add a little spice to the proceedings though. Him and Considerably are two of my favourite "contributors" as they do lead to some good reading.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.