Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Damper postitioning
chrisf

posted on 16/10/04 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Damper postitioning

I'm using a custom MX-5-based suspension. I moved the top arm back 1/2" to provide for additional castor. This now makes the damper angles wierd.

I'm using a bike damper as a mockup because it is the exact height that my real damper (yet to arrive) at rest. Check out the angles I need to use.

I've looked through many build diaries and everyone's damper bracket seems to be parallel with the suspension pickup bolts. The book too shows the damper bracket centered on the lower arm and parallel to the suspension pickup bolts.

I have more pics of what I'm talking about in my archive. I'd love to get this resolved so I can move forward with the W/E build.

--Thanks, Chris

[Edited on 16/10/04 by chrisf]

[Edited on 16/10/04 by chrisf] Rescued attachment Pic1.jpg
Rescued attachment Pic1.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 16/10/04 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
If the dampers have rod-end bearings either end, it wont make any difference, in fact, arguably, it could be slightly better geometry wise.

However, dampers with bushed ends might not be so happy. They will be trying to 'twist' the bush as the dampers move in/out. They *should* cope with it, but that is the only real downfall that I can see...

Dont just build it.....make it!

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 16/10/04 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Damper Alignment

Ideally the damper should be aligned so it is inline. If it is offset slightly you will put a bending load into the damper, this will increase friction and shorten seal life, both theoretically bad.

However as with nearly all aspects of car building it is all about compromises. If the offset mounting gives better packaging it may be compromise you are willing to live with.

If you can mount it inline.

JB

chrisf

posted on 16/10/04 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses. Whould there be any adverse effects of offsetting the damper pickup? Right now, it is inline with the ball joint. I could move the pickup rearward and this would straighten everthing up. My concern is that I would put much more bending load on the rearward control arm. Is this bad news?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andylancaster3000

posted on 16/10/04 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
In your archive are a few mock-ups of your ideas for inboard dampers in 3D models. If you were to use these then you will probably loose these problems. Is there a reason why you haven't opted for this idea. IMO it would be a very nice way of doing the front suspension.

Andy

chrisf

posted on 16/10/04 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
In inboard idea was really cool. It took me quite a while to design. It had a very nice progressive design. But alas: the tolerances were very tight. I could never make it work. Either the steering shaft was in the way or things would bang into each other. I could have forced it to work but I would have never been happy with the results.

After 4 months, I finally tossed in the towel. I still have the inboard rear suspension.

MikeRJ

posted on 17/10/04 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
If the upper damper bracket was mounted under the tube rather than on the side, it would give you more clearance between the spring and the wishbone. This should certainly give you more scope to mount the damper "straight", although it will reduce the effactive spring rate slightly as the damper will be working at a larger angle.

If you want the bracket on the side, then the holes in the bracket should be inline with the wishbone bracket or the damper bushes wil have a shrt life. Either make a custom bracket with one side longer than the other, or space a standard bracket out at one end.

[Edited on 17/10/04 by MikeRJ]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.