Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Should the diff get very hot?
matt_claydon

posted on 31/7/04 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Should the diff get very hot?

Just a quickie - after a blast in the car today I found that the diff body was so hot that you could not touch it for more than a second or two. Is this normal?

Cheers,
Matt.

JoelP

posted on 31/7/04 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
i wouldnt have thought so, but then, what do i know?! you could work out from the % transmission power loss how much heat you would expect to be shared between gearbox, diff and bearings. I myself would just check the diff oil level though!

theconrodkid

posted on 31/7/04 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
should get warm not hot,check the amount of heat from the engine flowing out the rear end on a hot day they could all add up,if iol is ok and no noises just see how it goes

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

matt_claydon

posted on 1/8/04 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. I checked the oil level, which was fine, and on reflection I think conrod had the right idea (as usual ) - my tunnel is enclosed so all the heat from the rad, block and exhaust manifold is funnelled along the tunnel and straight over the diff, heating it up. I'm a bit worried about the thinning effect this will have on the oil, but then sierra diffs are prety easy to come by and this one is not in the greatest condition anyway so I don't really care!

On a related note, where can I pick up exhaust wrap - is there anywhere where I'll be able to buy it off the shelf or do I need to order from Demon Tw4ts or similar?

Cheers,
Matt.

[Edited on 1/8/04 by matt_claydon]

hortimech

posted on 1/8/04 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
this exhaust wrap stuff i keep reading about, would it be white rope like stuff?

Why does everything happen to me

stephen_gusterson

posted on 1/8/04 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
I recall speaking to someone at the locost midland meet a year or so ago, who had a stuart taylor. His speedo sensor, mounted adjacent to the diff, used to stop working once the diff heated up.....

atb

steve

[Edited on 1/8/04 by stephen_gusterson]

JoelP

posted on 1/8/04 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
it appears as a fabric, woven from a white material that has an itch similar to fibreglass has. i got some from proven products, though if someone finds it cheaper i would be grateful to know for future reference. Link to follow in 2 mins...

http://www.proven-products.co.uk/products/cooltek.htm

20 metres has done a 4-2-1 manifold and some 20 inches of the pipe thereafter, with maybe 5 metres spare.

[Edited on 1/8/04 by JoelP]

bob

posted on 1/8/04 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Matt

Try http://www.thinkauto.com

Fozzie

posted on 1/8/04 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like bandage!
Most places stock it, Woolies, Demons, Car Builder Solutions!
There is a 'formula' as to how much you need to use to make it effective, any less, and it wont work properly.

1 1/2" diameter pipe uses 6 feet of 1" wrap per foot of pipe.
2" diameter pipe uses 8 feet 2" of 1" wrap per foot of pipe.

After wrapping has dried (apply it wet), use the protective spray over the bandage for full effect.

You must fix with locking wire (stainless), or the 'straps'.

HTH
fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

matt_claydon

posted on 1/8/04 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, have ordered some from Think, which will hopefully arrive before my trip to Anglesey and help cool things under the bonnet down a bit!

Cheers,
Matt.

James

posted on 2/8/04 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
The Mclaren Mercedes SLR has a fully paneled bottom which means the diff gets no airflow.

It gets so hot it has an oil cooler rad fitted with a fan to cool the rad in the bottom of the boot.

James

stephen_gusterson

posted on 2/8/04 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
bens site

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ben_marriott/

David Jenkins

posted on 3/8/04 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
It looks like bandage!

After wrapping has dried (apply it wet), use the protective spray over the bandage for full effect.

Not always true - the CoolTek stuff goes on dry and doesn't need a coat of paint (I just rang and asked them!)

The formula is useful, thanks.

David

Fozzie

posted on 3/8/04 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Very true David! have been using the 'wrap' in racing for many years now,and have only found the stuff that goes on 'wet' to be the only effective product so far.
BTW its not normal paint thats used, but a specific one for exhaust wrap. It dries a silvery grey colour.

ATB
fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Terrapin_racing

posted on 3/8/04 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
High diff temperatures are not uncommon - especially when racing. Mocal do a great electric oil pump just for the job at less than £100 that can be used to set up a diff oil cooler arrangement (I've found the ford fiesta transmission cooler rad which is about 10cm x 20cm new as cheap as £15 at autojumbles - newark etc.) - so if needed you could go this route for about £150 inc. hoses etc. Rescued attachment moc.jpg
Rescued attachment moc.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.