Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My b0ll0cking wheels don't fit!
gingerprince

posted on 28/6/10 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
My b0ll0cking wheels don't fit!

Bought some 13" wheels off ebay, old Fiesta 7-spoke RS 6J13 ET32 to fit slicks on my Indy. Picked them up and fitted them today. They're fine on the back (9" Sierra drums) but foul on the front They catch on both the track rod-end as below, and also the caliper on the inside of the wheel face. Trial-spaced them with washers to see if spacers would help, but it looks like by the time they're spaced far enough the hub studs wouldn't be long enough, and the wings would need adjusting, negating the advantage of getting FWD offset wheels! Then it decided to p1ss down for the first time in a couple of weeks, so I came indoors to sulk

Does anyone know what FWD offset (cheapo) 13" wheels (6J or 7J) that fit over front Sierra calipers? I thought it was only rear calipers that had clearance issues! Rescued attachment wheels.jpg
Rescued attachment wheels.jpg

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 28/6/10 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have a set of wheels that have tyres and are mint mags that i was asking 150 for plus posty tax .
They will fit .
Check out my forsale posting from a while back

Wadders

posted on 28/6/10 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
how tight are they? if its only a cats nadge you might be able to grind a bit off the track rod ends and calipers. bit hard to tell from the pic.

Al.

Originally posted by gingerprince
Bought some 13" wheels off ebay, old Fiesta 7-spoke RS 6J13 ET32 to fit slicks on my Indy. Picked them up and fitted them today. They're fine on the back (9" Sierra drums) but foul on the front They catch on both the track rod-end as below, and also the caliper on the inside of the wheel face. Trial-spaced them with washers to see if spacers would help, but it looks like by the time they're spaced far enough the hub studs wouldn't be long enough, and the wings would need adjusting, negating the advantage of getting FWD offset wheels! Then it decided to p1ss down for the first time in a couple of weeks, so I came indoors to sulk

Does anyone know what FWD offset (cheapo) 13" wheels (6J or 7J) that fit over front Sierra calipers? I thought it was only rear calipers that had clearance issues!

gingerprince

posted on 28/6/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
I have a set of wheels that have tyres and are mint mags that i was asking 150 for plus posty tax .

Cheers, but I'm after 13" wheels to fit formula renault slicks.

phelpsa

posted on 28/6/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
The backspace of wheels tend to taper a bit, could you space the wheels out say 10mm to gain clearance?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gingerprince

posted on 28/6/10 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
how tight are they? if its only a cats nadge you might be able to grind a bit off the track rod ends and calipers. bit hard to tell from the pic.

It's hard to tell. Worth another look tomorrow when it's not chucking it down, don't want to cause any damage I can't rectify before next week though

gingerprince

posted on 28/6/10 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
The backspace of wheels tend to taper a bit, could you space the wheels out say 10mm to gain clearance?

I did try spacing them out (with washers for now to trial as I don't have any wheel spacers). It was helping with the TRE but the calipers still seemed to be sticking, kinda hard to see exactly by how much. Had a few washers on there though so it looks like it'll need a fairly hefty spacer, possibly too much to leave enough stud left, and also need to modify wings to accomodate!

snapper

posted on 29/6/10 at 04:32 AM Reply With Quote
My first move would be to clean up the inner wheel then sand back any corrosion, take 1 mm off the track rod ball joint.
Have a good look at the caliper, if you can get the wheel on then you are not far off, perhaps it's only the paint?
The calipers get hot and expand so you could do with a couple of mm clearance, usually plenty of meat on a caliper but you need to find the point that touches the wheel.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Bluemoon

posted on 29/6/10 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Humm fitted same style ET32 but R14 they fitted but with only 1mm of track rod clearance on full lock..

Dan

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.