Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rear beam bushes
dave1888

posted on 9/4/04 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
rear beam bushes

Anyone tried fitting the large insulator bushes on the sierra rear beam ( the large donut bushes). I have been trying all day with no luck
givemethebighammer

posted on 11/4/04 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted the poly bushes from Chester sports cars to my Cat E1 as follows:

1. Swore loads cutting the old ford ones out !!!

2. Made a "press" as detailed in the picture below, using 5mm steel plate, M10 stud and some nuts. The spacer tube was an old "pipe coupling" slightly wider than the hold in the beam. I got this from the scraps bin of the local steel supplier. It has a wall thinness of about 4mm and is threaded on the inside. I sure a piece of thick walled pipe would do the same job though. I'll take a picture if you need further clarification.

3. Lubricated the bush with a little GT85 teflon spray (could use washing up liquid).

4. Tightened the top nut until the bush popped into place - very scary like loading up a crossbow, keep yourself well out of the way of the ends of the stud in case it breaks and launches it self at you.

PS - when you fit it to the car make a soild steel plate (4mm or 5mm) to cover the entire top of the bush. This will stop the bush pulling through the beam under extreme loading. I use the same plates as I made to pull the bushes into the beam.

Rescued attachment bush.JPG
Rescued attachment bush.JPG

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.