Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A grand day out - with a slight downer
Mark Allanson

posted on 9/9/09 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
A grand day out - with a slight downer

I had a wonderful day today, drove from Crowlas to Plymouth, Yelverton, Princetown, through the lanes of Dartmoor, to Tavistock and back home through the lanes to Crowlas. Over 200 miles in total and used 4 gallons of V-Max!

The only problem was a bit of clutch judder, or felt like it. On 2 occasions it turned into axle judder, more like a clatter, only when taking away in 1st, driving was fine.

I have a few suspects
1, rear gearbox mount
2, prop UJ's
3, diff bearings
4, metalastic bearings in the trailing arms

I will take a look tomorrow. In the mean time, tell me what I have missed! Rescued attachment Temp.jpg
Rescued attachment Temp.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

l0rd

posted on 9/9/09 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
In a couple of occasions my Clio did the same. I believe that it must have been probably a spring on the clutch that had some sort of an issue. Actually, it did it in 2 occasions in the same day a week after i had bought the car.

It never did it again and driven it another 30K.

austin man

posted on 9/9/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
4 gallons 200 miles wat engine are you using a Prius ???

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/9/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
4 gallons 200 miles wat engine are you using a Prius ???

No a Pinto 2.0i with modified standard injection, and a wife set speed limit of 60mph!

Never went over 3000rpm or half throttle, Mrs A loves the car but gets scared when I can get the car to do 18mpg. If I howled it with her in the car, she would never get in it again.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

coozer

posted on 9/9/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I get some judder occasionally that seems to come from the clutch, suspect first gear ratio is way out at 3.92 with the rubber doughnut missing from the prop is the culprit. I suspect the clutch cable on mine as well as the pedal goes 'soft' over the hill, towards the extent of travel, if you get my drift?

I find more revs and a quick lift of the clutch pedal stops it, then 7k in first and I forget about it!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/9/09 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I get some judder occasionally that seems to come from the clutch, suspect first gear ratio is way out at 3.92 with the rubber doughnut missing from the prop is the culprit. I suspect the clutch cable on mine as well as the pedal goes 'soft' over the hill, towards the extent of travel, if you get my drift?

I find more revs and a quick lift of the clutch pedal stops it, then 7k in first and I forget about it!

I wish it was, this felt like the rear axle was trying to escape

JimSpencer

posted on 9/9/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
[I wish it was, this felt like the rear axle was trying to escape

Sounds like axle tramp, mine does that on occasion - quite violent when it does.

do the 'get it moving, gently, then nail it' start - or try tweaking the damper settings up a bit.

BenB

posted on 9/9/09 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Wow. Can't help with the mystery vibration but the trip sounds blooming amazing!!

50mpg? Are you sure? Really? I wish mine did that much!!! I struggle to get 30... but then I cruise @ 6krpm!!

ReMan

posted on 9/9/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote

My weekend came and went at 10mpg, albeit on the track.

Even so, you could be the mascot for Shell if the super duper fuel gets you 50 to the gal

kj

posted on 10/9/09 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
Mine jumped and felt like the gear box or axle was at fault found it was the clutch cable getting hot from the manifold and not operating correctly. I know a lot of robin hoods with the std manifolds had the same thing.
Insulate around the cable or fit a longer one from a cossie to route around it.

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

l0rd

posted on 10/9/09 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Did you try starting in second gear instead of first?
My clio that day was a nightmare to start on first as the whole car was shaking like hell and you would think that the engine might tear all the mounts

But was absolutely fine on starting in gear 2.

mad-butcher

posted on 10/9/09 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
what does mrs B think of it, sounds like a nice road trip

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 10/9/09 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kj
Mine jumped and felt like the gear box or axle was at fault found it was the clutch cable getting hot from the manifold and not operating correctly. I know a lot of robin hoods with the std manifolds had the same thing.
Insulate around the cable or fit a longer one from a cossie to route around it.

That makes a lot of sense, I had to stop 3 times to let the drivers footwell cool down as my feet were too hot to drive (Pinto exhaust syndrome!)

I don't think it is axle tramp as it happens at manoeuvering speeds, but I can do a traffic light start without problems (I got in the wrong lane in Plymouth but cured the problem by being 60 feet ahead of the other cars by the time they started rolling - I love these cars!)

MikeRJ

posted on 10/9/09 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Check engine mounts, if these are loose/broken they can cause judder.
kj

posted on 10/9/09 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Mine jumped and juddered like hell especialy a low speed menovers, and 1st & reverse was a bit difficult to engage. It felt like the back axle was jumping all over.
I put some pipe lagging around it with reflective foil (not tin foil) but sure that would work too.

Mark Allanson

posted on 10/9/09 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Check engine mounts, if these are loose/broken they can cause judder.

They are landy mounts, normally rock solid but I will chack that they haven't parted at the vulcanised joint or similar - thanks Mike

Mark Allanson

posted on 10/9/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kj
Mine jumped and juddered like hell especialy a low speed menovers, and 1st & reverse was a bit difficult to engage. It felt like the back axle was jumping all over.
I put some pipe lagging around it with reflective foil (not tin foil) but sure that would work too.

Just about to try it out this morning when all is cold - should be a good test

Mark Allanson

posted on 10/9/09 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Just got back from a local run out, its definitely temperature related, I think I will use a genuine new clutch cable with a insulator sleeve from a 306 and perhaps an additional fan at the back of the engine bay. I went to Cape Cornwall by the North Road (B3306 - worth a google) Rescued attachment Temp.jpg
Rescued attachment Temp.jpg

kj

posted on 10/9/09 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
That looks like a nice place in the wold to drive, weather looks good too.
Good luck with the car.

Mark Allanson

posted on 10/9/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kj
That looks like a nice place in the wold to drive, weather looks good too.
Good luck with the car.

It is, but jobs are scarce, pay is low. On the upside, I have a week off, the weather is superb, the car is now fully sorted, and the roads are a bit quieter now August is over!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.