Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake problem
james h

posted on 15/4/09 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Brake problem

I realised my previous post was a little unclear so I have rephrased it.

I am having trouble fitting my rear VW calipers on the MK:

- At the end of the copper brake line there is a female fitting which attaches to the flexible hoses.
- My flexible hoses as supplied by MK do not fit into the calipers. The male fitting is too small. It looks like a 10mm fine pitched thread, although I am not entirely sure on this.
- The calipers have a female fitting which is a 12mm thread with a 1mm pitch.
- The calipers came with a banjo fitting which goes into the female fitting as described above. May or may not be useful.

So how do I attach the brake line to the calipers? Are there adaptors available?

Thanks,

James

Brake line end
Brake line end

Flexible hoses
Flexible hoses

VW caliper
VW caliper

Fitting on caliper
Fitting on caliper

[Edited on 15/4/09 by james h]

blakep82

posted on 15/4/09 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
you should have flexi pipe between the ridgid and the caliper (the caliper will move when the brakes are applied. so are you missing a flexi pipe with male ends on both?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

SeaBass

posted on 15/4/09 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
The rear wheels move up and down! You'll need some form of flexi in there. That banjo looks like it connects with an olive to a braided hose such as aeroquip or goodridge.

James

DIY Si

posted on 15/4/09 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
What Blake said. There should be a flexi pipe between the copper pipe work and the callipers to prevent the copper pipe breaking.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

blakep82

posted on 15/4/09 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
James, have you got any photos of the hanbrake cable? i'm trying to work out if its the same as the sierra one (i think these calipers are like a straight swap for the ford ones arent they?)

i'm after some cables (must be 2 seperate cables though, rather than the 1 looped cable from a sierra) to fit my handbrake with

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 15/4/09 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm, what are the banjo fittings for then?

james h

posted on 15/4/09 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
James, have you got any photos of the hanbrake cable? i'm trying to work out if its the same as the sierra one (i think these calipers are like a straight swap for the ford ones arent they?)

i'm after some cables (must be 2 seperate cables though, rather than the 1 looped cable from a sierra) to fit my handbrake with

Hi there,

I have a shortened handbrake cable from rallydesign. They are two separate cables. I will take a pic and post it here for you.

As for the straight swap, they need to be spaced out from the hub carriers about 18mm. Also they are slightly too far from the centre of the driveshaft for my liking. I am using the standard 253mm solid disc though.
I think I am right in saying that if you are using the disc and hub carriers etc. from a non cossie 4x4, the discs are slightly larger and the bell of the disc deeper, so should fit perfectly with the golf caliper as pictured above.

James

blakep82

posted on 15/4/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
thanks james
do you know if the ends are the same as sierra ones?

james h

posted on 15/4/09 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
thanks james
do you know if the ends are the same as sierra ones?

You have u2u

tomblyth

posted on 15/4/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
the universal clutch cable from hein gerick (motorbike shop) is 2.5mm, you cut them to fit! best bit is there price and as they are 2.5mm Dia can be used for everything, on my car I've used these as handbreak cables,clutch cable and throttle cable. there are about £3 of £4 check which one you buy as theres two types , you want the longest one and trim it back (loose nipple is in the kit!) also when you trim it back use a grinder not snips!

see my photo archive!

[Edited on 15/4/09 by tomblyth]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.