Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike Shocks?
garage19

posted on 9/2/04 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Bike Shocks?

I'm currently hunting round for some shocks and being from a biking background wondered if i could use a pair of bike shocks up front.

I've checked GTS's site and found that i need front shocks with a 12" open length and 10" closed to fit my indy.

I know where i can get my hands on a pair of fireblade shocks for the price of one cheapest option spax.

Bike shocks are very good units as stock and are adjustable for both rebound and compression separately.

Assuming the lengths are alright can any one for see any other problems?

Maybe the damping rates will be way out due to the use of a rocker on a bike?

I can get new ohlins springs in various ratings from my bike shop owning mate for not a lot so that shouldn't be a problem as long as they go up to 275lbs!

Sorry if you've already covered this bright idea but i couldn't find anything on a search and i'm sure its worth a thought.

Thanks,

Doug.

JoelP

posted on 9/2/04 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
harder to get right (whatever that is...) but a good idea. Easier if you could add a rocker mechanism to yours but you may not want to fiddle with MKs finest...! With adjustable rocker you could fiddle it more. That said, its gonna need a pair on either side probably to take the weight and maintain total travel.

Simon

posted on 10/2/04 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Doug,

See if you can find out what the specific poundage of the springs are. I have a funny feeling that they are rated much higher than people imagine.

Reason for my thinking is that the monoshock is mounted quite close to the pivot for the swingarm, therefore, the spring is actually taking a multiple of the bikes rear weight - if you see what I mean.

See doodle. If weight on rear wheel is 100kg on Spring B, then the weight on Spring A, may be approaching a tonne.

My thoughts!

ATB

Simon Rescued attachment Bike spring.jpg
Rescued attachment Bike spring.jpg

JoelP

posted on 10/2/04 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
true, and if it was close to the hinge it would have nearly no travel!

sgraber

posted on 10/2/04 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using Yamaha R6 shocks. My build is not even close to standard tho, so your mileage WILL vary. I am happy with their performance. I have 7" of travel. 3"droop/4" bump. There is a wide selection of aftermarket springs available at reasonable rates if the need arises.

Nice thing about the rockers is that you can make them rising rate, change them out whenever you want, experiment.... It's all about learning and having fun.

Early stage of my build:

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
garage19

posted on 11/2/04 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Steve, are they stock R6 rockers you have used? How did you calculate all the forces or did you try to recreate the same forces on the shock as it would have in the bike?

sgraber

posted on 11/2/04 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, they are stock. The springs may need to be changed, but I want some track time to determine that need.

The bellcranks are stock R6, but are not used the same way as the bike. The lever gives 'close' to a 2:1 ratio which effectively doubles the suspension travel per shock travel and halves the spring # rate.

(For you Anoraks out there - I am using approximations in my description - I don't have my calculations handy) :-)

As I said before YMMV.

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.