Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake Fluid Leak
coozer

posted on 8/12/08 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Brake Fluid Leak

This is really starting to bug me.. the connection form my reservoir to the M/C's leak occasionally.

This has been going on since I first put fluid in the system during the build and I don't know where to go now. I've changed the setup and renewed the connectors but it still leaks.

Is there a better, more robust set up? Feel like ripping the whole lot out and starting again.

The bottom of the blue hose gets wet and fluid puddles round the copper washer, runs under neath and drips off. Any ideas chaps??? Rescued attachment PC080003.jpg
Rescued attachment PC080003.jpg

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

nick205

posted on 8/12/08 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
How about fitting a metal braided hose with a proper crimped on male screw fitting. Russ Bost on here might be able to make you up a hose to suit.

02GF74

posted on 8/12/08 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
do you know wherre the leak is?

possbile places:

1. copper washer and fluffy braid on hose wicks it up
2. bottom hose connection ot the master
3. top hose connection at the reservoir - fluid leaks via the braid?

my money is on 1.

can you temporarily fit transparent hose and dust with talc to see where the brake fluid is coming from.

is the hose clip proper fuel hose clip and of the correct size?

maartenromijn

posted on 8/12/08 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
In the picture the fabric of the hose seems to be wet.

I have this type of hose as a fuel return line in my Merc. The rubber underneith the fabric can be broken/ rotten (don't know correct English word) and you cannot see this.

Are you sure the hose is suitable for brake fluid?

Edit to say: If the copper washer is leaking, it might be hardened by using it over and over again. Use a new one. Locost option: heat it until it is glowing red, to normalise the cell structure and get sof again. Then it will seal properly.

[Edited on 8/12/08 by maartenromijn]

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

pewe

posted on 8/12/08 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
My bet would be on the braided hose.
IIRC that's not suitable for brake fluid.
As ^^^ use metal braided brake hose or buy so proper stuff from Ral Des or speak to Brian at bgc motorsport
( www.bgcmotorsport.co.uk ) as he's always helpful.
Cheers, Pewe

coozer

posted on 8/12/08 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Brake hose is the proper stuff from Merlin, came with a data sheet for SVA. Today is the first time I've took it apart and the rubber under the braid is OK. Top connection is dry and the clip is a proper fuel type.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

r1_pete

posted on 8/12/08 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Does that clip have a metal band all the way round the hose? some of the cheapo's have a gap, and when tightened pinch the pipe and create a void between pipe and fitting. You could try replacing it with a thin jubilee type clip.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 8/12/08 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
without the fuel clip how tight is the tube on the fitting ?

It should be interferance. if not i suspect that when you are crimping it up with the hose connector it is creating a crease in the wall of pipe and its leaking down the crease.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

iank

posted on 8/12/08 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Brake hose is the proper stuff from Merlin, came with a data sheet for SVA. Today is the first time I've took it apart and the rubber under the braid is OK. Top connection is dry and the clip is a proper fuel type.

Is it the stuff that's supposed to be good for fuel or brake fluid? If it is it could be part of the bad batch reported here (linky)
Also what type of fluid are you using (dot number) some hose is only suitable for one kind.

If the braid is wet it's quite likely the hose is the problem, capillary action shouldn't pull it past the hose clip.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Davey D

posted on 8/12/08 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
What are your bottom fittings like? i didnt like the supplied ones where you have to flare a piece of copper pipe, and nip it up.

i ended up replacing mine with these from europa

https://www.europaspares.com/BRAKE_PARTS/RESERVOIRS/REMOTE_RESERVOIR_FIXING_KIT___EBPK1__4523.html

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.