Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dodgy front end bouncy bits
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/12/08 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
dodgy front end bouncy bits

hi

anyone recommend a spring that would be suitable for this application, I was thinking of a Capri leaf spring but it has to fit down 2 inch wide chassis rails which isn't very wide really but that’s what I've got for a chassis. The engine is the 2.8 with a type 9, it got glassfiber bodywork but am not really too sure of the axle weight so was thinking of making the front adjustable by using a large screw to push down on the spring to raise or lower it. probably a naff idea but it just popped into me head...

any thoughts?

oh and I know there's no dampers, they are not needed in the states...I was going to use hi-tech friction plate ones cos I like to live dangerously

Image deleted by owner

[Edited on 8/12/08 by Mr Whippy] Rescued attachment axle.JPG
Rescued attachment axle.JPG

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 8/12/08 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
What you need is something like this:

[img][/img]

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/12/08 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
well I look at that and see £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££....faint

I'm quite happy with landy style technology

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 8/12/08 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
MG Midget?

Though what you really seem to need is a quarter eliptic spring from an early Austin Healy Sprite.
as in (b) in this picture

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/12/08 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
MG Midget?

Though what you really seem to need is a quarter eliptic spring from an early Austin Healy Sprite.

cheers

yeah the midge one might work except its only rated for the weight of the back of a tiny car it rather than the front end and I have a heavy v6 in there. I have plenty of length down the chassis rail to take a full spring though

iank

posted on 8/12/08 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by iank
MG Midget?

cheers

yeah the midge one might work except its only rated for the weight of the back of a tiny car it rather than the front end and I have a heavy v6 in there. I have plenty of length down the chassis rail to take a full spring though

You may be right, but it does need to take 2 fat blokes and luggage from that end of the car - say 300kg
2.8 is around that isn't it?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/12/08 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
you may have a point, at a guess the 2.8 was about 30-40kg more than the pinto and the engine is quite a bit back from the wheels and it would certinly be easier to mount the half springs to the end of the rails than inside them, good call

x_flow57

posted on 8/12/08 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
MK2 Jaguar use 1/4 eliptic rear springs, you could remove leaves to get the spring rate right.

Nick

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/12/08 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
cheers I'll look at the jag stuff too but this sprite spring looks promissing and and acceptable price aswell Rescued attachment sprite spring.JPG
Rescued attachment sprite spring.JPG

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.