Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Really stupid question
DorsetStrider

posted on 25/11/08 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Really stupid question

Hiya guys.

I know even as I ask this that it's a really REALLY stupid question... but off the top of my head I can't think WHY it's a stupid question.

Say you wanted to use the front hubs uprights etc of a fwd car on the front of a car that was read wheel drive...

If you just remoeved the drive shafts would the wheels stay on? i.e. no stub axel? Or would the wheels fall off at the first corner?

Who the f**K tightened this up!

owelly

posted on 25/11/08 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
It's been done many times. You either leave the CV outer cup in situ or get it machined back a bit.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 25/11/08 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
If you simply remove the driveshaft then yes you'll simply pull the hub out of the bearing and lose a wheel.

As above, leave the end of the driveshaft CV in place or turn it down a little to reduce weight.

Alan B

posted on 25/11/08 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Perfectly good question actually. I thought the same but it does seem like they all need something to hold the bearings in. I ended up making a dummy stub to hold it together.

HTH

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DorsetStrider

posted on 25/11/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Ok so it wasn't as daft as it seemed.

ok next potentially stupid question...

Is it possible to EASILY modify a stub from a rear axel on a fwd donor (donor I beleive has drum brakes on the rear) so that it can used on the front of a kit? obviously new uprights would need to be fabricated but how would you go about setting it up to run disc brakes?

Who the f**K tightened this up!

adithorp

posted on 25/11/08 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Take a look at an MGF. They use metro front hubs with the Cv stripped off shaft and inner gubbins to hold it together.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

hillbillyracer

posted on 25/11/08 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DorsetStrider
Ok so it wasn't as daft as it seemed.

ok next potentially stupid question...

Is it possible to EASILY modify a stub from a rear axel on a fwd donor (donor I beleive has drum brakes on the rear) so that it can used on the front of a kit? obviously new uprights would need to be fabricated but how would you go about setting it up to run disc brakes?

Well why not start with the rear stub from large front wheel drive saloon which uses discs at the rear already? Many cars have a stub that unbolts from the axle/upright which could mabye be welded to the rest of the upright. I thought that'd be a good way to do it but plenty folk seem to use the Sierra & Cortina uprights to good effect so thought my efforts would be better spent elsewhere.

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/11/08 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
If you simply remove the driveshaft then yes you'll simply pull the hub out of the bearing and lose a wheel.

As above, leave the end of the driveshaft CV in place or turn it down a little to reduce weight.

Exactly that photographed at the Exeter show Rescued attachment Hub Convert.jpg
Rescued attachment Hub Convert.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.