Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rod Ends / Spherical Bearings
craig1410

posted on 23/4/04 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Peteff,
I agree on the comment about the washers and they are only there temporarily until I can get my hands on a lathe and make a proper spacer. I am also rethinking the "little fillets" as they come too close to my 19mm wheel arch rear tubes. I am going to fillet across the U bracket instead whilst making sure the rod-end has enough room to move up and down without hitting the fillet. As you said the 1/2" UNF bolt should be man enough for the job but I don't like single shear.

Let's face it, the back end of the Locost isn't heavy (maybe 300Kg's effective mass) and thus even at 1G lateral acceleration it would only get about 3000 Newtons of force along the panhard rod. Once I've filleted the double shear bracket I think it will cope easily with this amount of stress.

Cheers,
Craig.

Peteff

posted on 23/4/04 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Excuse the drawing.

This was what I meant in the second idea with the bracket on the front. It would provide the strength IMHO. Rescued attachment panhardend.jpg
Rescued attachment panhardend.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeR

posted on 23/4/04 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Well guess what turned up today ?

yep - everything i'd ordered from the grasstrack boys....

excellent service and the approximate price given on the phone ended up being a couple of quid higher than what he charged me so ......

could we have a consensus of opinion as to how i fit the things

I'm thinking the end on the car side the same as in the book. The end on the axle side to be inline the car side. In my mind the panhard rod is stopping the axle doing sideways as it goes up and down. Their should be very little force going front to rear of the car..... in this configuration I think i'll be ok - the issue I think I have is with how much the rod end can take the angle of the panhard rod - the less angle the better.....

ASCII art

O------------------------O

as opposed to

O------------------------=

where
* means the axle looking at it from the rear of the car as if stood behind it 12" from the ground.
O means I see through the bolt
= means the bolt goes vertically through the mounting

(and the rod is parrallel and inline with the axle in reality)

Is that right ??????

NS Dev

posted on 23/4/04 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Peteff, the Nova sphericals were in a terribly loaded application compared to yours!! The Nova ones were just a spherical, not a rod end, and mounted with the macpherson strut through the centre as what is known as a "spherical bearing top mount". This then uses the spherical as the swivel for the steering at the top of the strut, but tries to push the "ball" out of the side of the bearing with the full weight of the front of the car, plus the forces incurred when landing etc. Landing from several feet up in a 1 tonne car repeatedly (forces probably in excess of 8 - 10 tonnes) is what pushed the liner out. In any case the bearing did not fail, the liner just removes play so the bearing got rattly and the steering a bit wobbly until we replaced them.

For any joint on a locost, especially one which is used on the road, I would use a PTFE type bearing.

NS Dev

posted on 23/4/04 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mike!!

As long as the panhard rod angle (that needed to avoid the diff dome cover)doesn't "bottom out" the rodend through bolt on the outer race at the axle end (which it shouldn't) I would certainly go for>>

However, as long as the same thing doesn't happen at the extents of the axle movement if the joint were the other way up then it doesn't really matter. If you think properly about it, the panhard rod can only work in compression and tension, and either way you are loading the joint correctly so don't worry too much.

The only thing to really avoid is the joints bottoming out with the outer races on the bolt. (this is what usually knackers rod-ends!)

NS Dev

posted on 23/4/04 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Next question, are you in this evening? Might pop over if you are as I'm in the vicinity!!
MikeR

posted on 23/4/04 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
oooh errrrr misses .....

yeah I'm in.

craig1410

posted on 23/4/04 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Well I think my opinion on this is already clear but just to confirm, I would mount both rod-ends in the same orientation to remove any worries about the rod-end outers binding on the bolts due to excessive angles.

ie.

Also, I recommend you either arrange an axle bracket to have double shear or if using single shear, make sure you have a nice big fat penny washer (3mm thick at least) and big enough to ensure that it would not pass through the middle of the rod-end outer casing if the rod-end did dislocate.

Cheers,
Craig.

MikeR

posted on 23/4/04 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
NS_DEV said pretty much the same when he popped over before - get two blokes talking about cars and its amazing how the time just flys!!!!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.