Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost wheelspin
craig1410

posted on 2/3/04 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
Here's another shot showing the brake m/cyl in approximate position. It should be far enough away from the exhaust but I can fit a heat shield if necessary.

Mark Allanson

posted on 2/3/04 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Great minds............................ Rescued attachment Pedals.jpg
Rescued attachment Pedals.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Northy

posted on 2/3/04 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
I know its probably wrong, but on the Avon Tiger mount the M/C horizontal!
So that means the fluid reservoir slopes down.

I'm not bothered cause I cut off all that crap and went floor mounted

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 2/3/04 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Craig,

Think what you are doing is perfectly ok (see http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=10000017.jpg)

It was what I was going to do, except I was going to have m/cyl horizontal, rather than inclined (per Sierra).

It's what Tiger do in their book - though they weld the upright to the chassis, and bolt p/box to bracketry. Same difference I guess, though reckon your p/b will be a lot stronger!

ATB

Simon

Mark Allanson

posted on 2/3/04 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I know it looks a bit like a railway bridge, but it's strong! Rescued attachment Pedal Box.jpg
Rescued attachment Pedal Box.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

craig1410

posted on 3/3/04 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Mark,
I must admit that your design inspired some aspects of mine although due to the different master cylinder that I am using with the different hole spacing, I can't do it exactly as you have done. This is why I am making the 4mm plate an integral part of the pedal box and then bolting this entire assembly to the chassis rather than welding the 4mm plate to the chassis and bolting the pedalbox to this plate.

I had some fun last night drilling a 42mm and 35mm hole in the 4mm plate for my two m/cyls. I used the multiple holes around the perimeter technique and broke about 5 drills in the process...

Anyway, the two m/cyls now fit like a glove and I should have the pedals fully installed by the weekend with continuing luck. Next up will be the handbrake cable mounting.

As for the master cylinder reservoir, I disagree with Tiger for making it sloped and I am surprised that they can get away with that as it will alter the way that the two circuits behave in the event of a low fluid situation and will reduce the capacity of the rearmost circuit. It seems a bit daft that some folk fail SVA for silly things when the brake m/cyl isn't mounted correctly and this doesn't seem to matter. In my case the slanted 4mm plate helps my pedal position and gives me slightly more leg room while still giving enough reserve pedal movement.

Thanks again guys,
Craig.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.