Board logo

Rear Upright Weight?
lsdweb - 8/10/08 at 10:25 PM

Hi All

Does anybody know the weight of a 'normal' rear upright on an independent back end?

I've got some cast alloy ones I may use but they seem heavy at just under 6kg including drive flange and CV.

Regards

Wyn Rescued attachment DSCF1437.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF1437.JPG

Wadders - 8/10/08 at 11:24 PM

I never weighed the rear uprights on the ST which are fabbed from what looks like 5mm plate, but they didn't feel particularly heavy.
however the sierra bits of the equation felt very heavy, i machined some weight off them, but they are still lardy.
6kg all in sounds pretty light to me.
Have seen lobros that have been milled to shave some weight, but the main culprit seems to be the output flange/shafts.

Al

Originally posted by lsdweb
Hi All

Does anybody know the weight of a 'normal' rear upright on an independent back end?

I've got some cast alloy ones I may use but they seem heavy at just under 6kg including drive flange and CV.

Regards

Wyn

liam.mccaffrey - 8/10/08 at 11:38 PM

I can't check yet Wyn but I'd be surprised if my mx5 rear uprights are over 6kg. IIRC mx5 rears are quite svelte

minitici - 9/10/08 at 07:57 AM

Just weighed a Westfield alloy rear upright with drive flange, stub axle, disc and Wilwood 4 pot caliper - 11.7Kg
[7.7Kg without disc]

lsdweb - 9/10/08 at 07:54 PM

quote:

Just weighed a Westfield alloy rear upright with drive flange, stub axle, disc and Wilwood 4 pot caliper - 11.7Kg

I'll weigh mine with the disc and caliper now! That's a good benchmark, seeing as it's a Westfield!

lsdweb - 9/10/08 at 08:37 PM

Just weighed it all -

Upright - about 5.6kg
Disc (really skinny) -2.4 kg
Caliper & pads - AP Alloy - 1.5kg

That's a total of 9.7 kg. Worth the grief of fitting a non standard upright I think!

The only down side is the PCD is roughly 95.5mm