Board logo

Why I hate Vauxhall Vectras
Mr Whippy - 6/4/08 at 11:37 AM

This will be why the ABS light was on

This car hasn’t even got past 90k and look at the rust! Can’t even get those nuts off to replace the disk as they’ve rounded inside, I’ll have to use the grinder now What a total rip off these cars are Rescued attachment brake.jpg
Rescued attachment brake.jpg

Liam - 6/4/08 at 11:39 AM

Blimey how old is that?!

Do you drive to work accros damp salt flats?

Liam

bigrich - 6/4/08 at 11:49 AM

did'nt know the titanic had ABS

looks like its from the bottom of the sea

Mr Whippy - 6/4/08 at 11:51 AM

9 year old, worth as much as a melted mars bar

this is the forth VH I've had and they've all been b*ll*cks, never again

I've only went and bought a heap of parts for it and now seeing just how horrible it is wish I hadn't, feck!!! wonder if they'll take them back???

Should have smashed it up with the digger after all....what a sh*tty Sunday this is, very sad, I need a drink

twybrow - 6/4/08 at 11:53 AM

You can buy mine from me!? 1.8 petrol estate load lugger on an R-plate with 136k (and no rusty brakes!)...

JoelP - 6/4/08 at 12:09 PM

ive got a veccy outside that i parked up fine 5 months ago and now is dead as a doornail! Shite engines too.

Mr Whippy - 6/4/08 at 12:19 PM

well I stuck it in 4th and jammed a screwdriver against it, most of the rust has come off. Not much left of the ABS teeth I suspect it needs a new drive shaft or two haven't even looked at the back brakes... scrap car, what a waste of money that was. Rescued attachment brake 2.jpg
Rescued attachment brake 2.jpg

blakep82 - 6/4/08 at 12:23 PM

thats aberdeen for ya

fesycresy - 6/4/08 at 12:23 PM

Told the wife I need to change her cambelt.

Wife decided to sell her Vectra, so said don't bother.

A few days later, said cambelt lets go

Just the parts cost me over £300

I hate Vectras too.

mookaloid - 6/4/08 at 12:36 PM

I hate Vectras - I only had one for six months - 3 yr old and it cost me about £1500 in repairs in that time. had to take a big hit when I traded it in too. Utter crap I'll never have another

The honda accord I replaced it with never missed a beat for the 18 months I had it but used a bit more petrol than the Vectra

blakep82 - 6/4/08 at 12:39 PM

easy way to fix the abs light:

remove the bulb.

it'll never annoy you again after that

considering we all build cars on here without worrying about ABS, i don't think you'll miss it much

Mr Whippy - 6/4/08 at 12:44 PM

Is it not part of the MOT test though? if the inspector see's that he won't even need a light to tell him it knackered...

Liam - 6/4/08 at 12:52 PM

Crikey - LOL at those ABS teeth! Probably cast from left over furnace slag. If it makes you feel any better - I've got a decent vauxhall (the only one?) - my pimpin omega elite . Nearly 10 years old now and just gone over 100k. Been a joy to own for the last two and a bit years. No rust. Only cost me a grand in the first place. The Griffin is strong in Bedford

Liam

blakep82 - 6/4/08 at 12:53 PM

i don't think so... my last 2 cars, E30 bmw, had the bad pad warning light on because the plug was broken for the sensor to the brake pads. told them about it and they said thats not part of the mot. as long as they work. the E36 bmw the airbag lights are on, been through at least 2 mots with that.

i think abs is one of these non essential driver aids (i think!) so if it doesn't work, i don't think its a problem. maybe want to have a word with a garage you're NOT taking it to for mot

Mr Whippy - 6/4/08 at 01:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i don't think so... my last 2 cars, E30 bmw, had the bad pad warning light on because the plug was broken for the sensor to the brake pads. told them about it and they said thats not part of the mot. as long as they work. the E36 bmw the airbag lights are on, been through at least 2 mots with that.

i think abs is one of these non essential driver aids (i think!) so if it doesn't work, i don't think its a problem. maybe want to have a word with a garage you're NOT taking it to for mot

hmm ok cheers I'll pop into the local garage and see what they say. I've had so much grief from this car

MikeRJ - 6/4/08 at 01:09 PM

If ABS is fitted then the warning light must illuminate and go out after a few seconds when the ignition is switched on. If it doesn't come on at all or stays on it is an MOT fail.

eccsmk - 6/4/08 at 01:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

if the e36 is the same as the e46 the plugs under the front two seats cause airbag light faults
also on the e30 you can remove the pad warming light by disconnecting the wiring at the diagnostic plug

rusty nuts - 6/4/08 at 02:29 PM

Neither airbag or pad warning lights come into the MOT . Pads worn below 1.5mm are a fail though. ABS on the other hand should have the warning light come on when the ignition is switched on and follow the correct sequence for the vehicle being tested. Some cars like the Freelander have to be driven above a certain speed for the light to go out, others go out after a few seconds. P.S. I hate Vectras as well

Mr Whippy - 6/4/08 at 02:37 PM

So much for that then

I'm not having a good day...went off to check her car to find out which wheel bearings making a racket, till I find she's off with the keys, left it in park and the handbrake on

I give up, back to doing the Falcon.

[Edited on 6/4/08 by Mr Whippy]

Danozeman - 6/4/08 at 02:40 PM

quote:

this is the forth VH

Thought ud have learnt after the first one. Theyr utter shit. Cavaliers arnt too bad and the mk3 astras like t reg sort of thing but thats about it

adam1985 - 6/4/08 at 03:26 PM

cant argue with mine gsi had car couple of years now no real probs with her and a bit of a city sleeper

indykid - 6/4/08 at 04:03 PM

my mk2 cav runs like a dream. 56k on an '87 E.

it's a bit thirsty on petrol but it has very few electric bits to go wrong

tom

thunderace - 6/4/08 at 05:48 PM

its all the salt on the road take a quick look at any vectra from the south of england there like new after 5 years,this is a very common on the vectra,seen it on all in scotland over 5 years old that are used in the scotish winter.(most cars look very bad after 3 winters in scotland ) motorbikes look very bad after 1 year winter use in scotland.(salt salt sail and water and cars and what do you get)

aerosam - 6/4/08 at 06:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
this is the forth VH I've had and they've all been b*ll*cks, never again

Can't believe it took you 4 of them to learn your lesson!

Simon - 6/4/08 at 06:30 PM

My father bought bought a Vauxhall Victor in 1975. Most unreliable car he ever owned, so by the sounds of it, nothings changed.

The chap that bought it off him had it for 2 - 3 years and nothing went wrong

ATB

Simon

MikeR - 6/4/08 at 08:05 PM

i was told that if its fitted, it has to work. i was panicke0d cause mine came on once in a while. luckily it didn't come on during the test so i passed