Board logo

exploded diagram of english axle
Dangle_kt - 22/12/07 at 03:52 PM

Anyone got one? I need to figure out to release the brake back plates so I can attach a wheel and smack the half shafts out so I can swap the diff over.

Cheers

twybrow - 22/12/07 at 04:35 PM

Have you got the Haynes manual? It is in there step by step...

Fatgadget - 22/12/07 at 04:39 PM

All you have to do is undo the 4 bolts at the end of the axle,assuming you haven't got access to a slide hammer,bolt on a scrap steel rim to the halfshaft and give that an allmighty whack with a sledge hammer.Works a treat most of the time.

Aboardman - 22/12/07 at 04:40 PM

here is a view but does not show back plates which i think just bolt to the axle with 4 bolts.

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/BTRMorganaxle.jpg

cs3tcr - 22/12/07 at 05:26 PM

That exploded diagram looks like an Atlas. As far as i know, the backplates are only held on by the four retaining bolts that hold the axle/seal plate in. You cant remove the backing plate without first removing the axle.

I put my casing up on the bench and took a slide hammer to it. Worked quite well.

Dangle_kt - 22/12/07 at 05:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fatgadget
All you have to do is undo the 4 bolts at the end of the axle,assuming you haven't got access to a slide hammer,bolt on a scrap steel rim to the halfshaft and give that an allmighty whack with a sledge hammer.Works a treat most of the time.

Thanks, thats what I thought.

Is this a spacer? I was told it has spacers on the rear axle, and as its so shiney I'm guessing it aint part of the standard axle.

Cheers Rescued attachment 101_0352.JPG
Rescued attachment 101_0352.JPG

NeilP - 22/12/07 at 05:56 PM

Yup,

Hubcentric spacer - Cost £100 for a new pair so I'd tuck that little beauty away if you're not using it!

HTH

procomp - 22/12/07 at 06:42 PM

Hi if using an old wheel rim and giving it a whack with a sledge hammer you may find that you will need new bearings and possibly a new shaft due to the fact that you've just bent it if the shaft is stubborn to move

they are a bolt on spacer which many people shy away from and prefer to use a spacer that simply slides over longer original fitment studs.

Bolt on spacers are not legal for any MSA use for safety reasons. However you can see them used in just about every edition of London chop shop which just about sums them up .

Cheers Matt

britishtrident - 22/12/07 at 07:21 PM

That looks like a PCD adaptor rather than a spacer.

Once you have the brake drum off just remove the 4 bolts (usuall 5/16" unf thread with 1/2" AF heads) fit an old steel wheel on backwards and hit the tyre with a 2kg hammer while pulling at the point opposite --- keep changing the point on the tyre you are hitting. Usually takes about 10 good hits to get it moving. ABSOLUTELY NO DANGER OF BENDING THE SHAFT.

[Edited on 22/12/07 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 22/12/07 by britishtrident]

big_wasa - 22/12/07 at 07:48 PM

If you are local I have the tool for the job

If you get stuck.

[Edited on 22/12/07 by big_wasa]

Syd Bridge - 26/12/07 at 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
...ABSOLUTELY NO DANGER OF BENDING THE SHAFT...

Yes, well, but you stand a very good chance of bending the drive flange. Bush engineering at its worst!

As the man said, 'Ask me how I know'.

Cheers,
Syd.

David Jenkins - 26/12/07 at 11:53 AM

Don't forget to drain the oil out first.

As the same man said to me too - 'ask me how I know.'