Board logo

mounting front flex to chassis
MikeR - 13/11/07 at 03:41 PM

Want to get on with making my front brakes. Conceptually i'll have the front flexis being mounted to the bodywork - but as i don't have that I was wondering if anyone can see a problem making a bracket that i fix under the top chassis tube. I'd then fit the front flexis and brake pipe to this.

Second question - where should i position the bracket? between the shock and FU tube or an inch after the FU ?

If i shouldn't fit it to the top - Why? and what about the exact same question but on the bottom chassis rail?

(for those who haven't built the chassis, the FU tube is what the upper suspension wishbone attaches to 6" from the front of the chassis).

russbost - 13/11/07 at 03:45 PM

No reason at all not to mount the flexies on the bodywork if that's what you want, just use a flexy with a bulkhead connector. HTH

MikeR - 13/11/07 at 04:17 PM

but i don't have the bodywork and won't for quite a while. If i mount it on the chassis - it means i'll have the brakes done & another job crossed off the list

(and technically a driveable vehicle)

zzr1100rick2 - 13/11/07 at 04:28 PM

And how would you get the body work on with out splitting the brake hose ? or am i missing somthing

MikeR - 13/11/07 at 04:35 PM

you'd split the brakes apart, try not to leak fluid everywhere, fit the body work, drill appropriate hole for lines to go through, refit ......

unless the hole is between the front uprights where there is no body work.... then it stays in place.

i appreciate this is a backwards way of doing things but i'm on a REALLY slow build (year 7 so far) so i like to make little victories. Fitting the front brakes would be a huge step forwards for me.

907 - 13/11/07 at 04:46 PM

Hi

The main thing is that you find a position where the flexi doesn't rub on anything when the steering is turned lock to lock.

I made up an angle bracket and G clamped it to the chassis. When satisfied with the position I then welded it in place.
My bodywork has a slot in it so it fits over, but the hole in the bracket could be used to mark the body panel and drill it at a later date.

The pic below shows where it fitted.

Paul G Rescued attachment lotus pics 002.jpg
Rescued attachment lotus pics 002.jpg