Board logo

Hand brake Cable - rear sierra calipers
saigonij - 28/6/07 at 06:51 PM

ok, what hand brake cable do i get...

i brought a sierra rear disc handbrake cable from butron last night and its way WAY too long...

what have other people done?

bob - 28/6/07 at 07:24 PM

I cut n shut my cable, chopped it inbetween handbrake lever and back seat panel. Joined the two pieces of cable using a couple of small U bolt clamps, clamps have held firm for just over 4 years now.

I will have a look and see if i have any pics, i think zetec made up gadget on his witch might be in his archive.

bob - 28/6/07 at 07:28 PM

Sorry not the best of pics, but shows where i made the join. Rescued attachment MK Indy build pics 034.jpg
Rescued attachment MK Indy build pics 034.jpg

saigonij - 28/6/07 at 07:43 PM

cool. thanks for showing me that.

more ideas guys

indykid - 28/6/07 at 07:59 PM

same here.....

tom Rescued attachment handbrake join.jpg
Rescued attachment handbrake join.jpg

geoff shep - 28/6/07 at 08:25 PM

You either cut it in the 'middle' (somewhere clear of outer sleeve or bracketry) or cut one end off and reform a new nipple. Opinions vary on nipples (as ever!) but mine is simply a bolt with a hole drilled through the middle and clouted with a large hammer - i think i knotted the cable as well. Others have re-nippled the end with welding gear etc.

worX - 29/6/07 at 05:04 AM

I did similar, but in an attempt to ensure no slippage, I took both ends round the handbrake bracket thing and joined with two U bolts on either side - probably a bit of overkill, but I knew that I didn't want to ever be doing the job twice!

Steve

Minicooper - 29/6/07 at 11:20 AM

Z cars do a shortened Sierra Cable, for there ZCars minis, I can provide the measurements, if it's suitable I sure Chris will sell you one. There are no joins in it, it's been shortened at the nipple end and a new nipple pressed on as the original is

Cheers
David