Board logo

How close can I go?
Mark Allanson - 4/8/03 at 04:40 PM

I have been getting the chassis ready for painting, I want to get every bracket welded and have no need to grind off my shiney new paint.

Good plan - Impossible - probably!!

In order to make my manifold removable without resorting to a grinder, I have moved tube R , problem now is that it is about 10mm from the steering column. Is this enough space to pass the SVA? I cannot see a problem as neither part are movable and cannot touch unless I have a crash!

I am looking for a bit of reassurance before I fully weld!!

Mark Rescued attachment Column Clearance.jpg
Rescued attachment Column Clearance.jpg

andyjack - 4/8/03 at 05:31 PM

I cant remember who but I read a build diary of a SVA passed car where the builder had to grind off the edges of the steering colum joint to stop it binding. This included some unexpected and covert filing during the actual SVA test. If that is ok for the SVA tester then 10mm sounds like a huge void in comparison.

JoelP - 4/8/03 at 05:32 PM

Nice engine mounts, was that about weight or position? I've used the original ones.

You look like you're gonna have the same problems with the exhaust manifold as me. You doing a new manifold? My engines' so far back that the pedals are in the way as well.

Mark Allanson - 4/8/03 at 06:59 PM

Andy, I chickened out and move R and put in a new piece to channel the loads back into the chassis, I now have 15mm which looks right.

Joel, I hate soggy engine mounts, the sierra ones are REALLY sloppy, so I used Landrover ones and made my own mounts Rescued attachment Column Clearance2.jpg
Rescued attachment Column Clearance2.jpg

stephen_gusterson - 4/8/03 at 08:21 PM

I think you woulda been OK.

10mm when the steering doesnt move from its axis is about 9.5mm more than you needed!

I mentioned to Hicost when I saw his car that his turbo just about missed his chassis.

He said basically it dont touch, so wheres the problem!

atb

steve

[Edited on 4/8/03 by stephen_gusterson]

kiwirex - 5/8/03 at 09:04 AM

I understand that the test that they do over here is "can you fit a hand in there?".

Obviously a test to be done on a cold engine, but I think it's damn clever.

'Course it's bad luck if you get an inspector with fat hands...

- Greg H