Board logo

Few problems with Sierra steering rack
mstepien - 19/4/07 at 09:12 AM

Hi,
As stated in the subject, I have few issues with the steering rack. It's the LHD Sierra one with shortened ratio. I've two following issues, both related to mountiings :
1. The hole in one mounting is not parallell to the other hole.

As on the following photo, the hole in black bracket is not parallell to the hole in the silver one.

steering rack
steering rack

Is it normal ? Can the bolt not be perpendicular to the mounting plate ?

Moreover the mountings are not on the same level : in order for the rack to be parallell to the ground, one bracket will be in the air :
[img]/upload/P1030198.JPG[/img]
[img]/upload/P1030199.JPG[/img]

2. One of the brackets (the black one) is way longer than the other. If I want to attach the rack perpendicular to the chassis' center line the bracket will before the mounting plate.

[img]/upload/P1030200.JPG[/img]

I think that cutting and rewelding should solve the issue but I need to know if it's normal.

PS. FYI, I cant move the rack further front of the car since then the steering column will foul the chassis member.
[img]/upload/P1030196.JPG[/img]

Thanks for any help.
Regards,
Michal

[Edited on 19/4/07 by mstepien]

TimC - 19/4/07 at 09:17 AM

The mounting faces and therefore the holes should be parrellel. Can you post a pic of the rack side-on as if you were looking through it like a telescope?

worX - 19/4/07 at 09:39 AM

as above re what Tim said, but I also had this problem, and even though it doesn't look like it will move - have you tried to twist the two ends so that they line up?

I twisted mine (around it's centre) back into line and then it mounted up fine!

hth
Steve.