Board logo

Bearings
CraigJ - 16/4/07 at 12:34 PM

Im after some bearings to build my chain diff (sierra based) and was wondering if you can buy a bearing that is self contained and doe's not require additional oil/grease supply?

coozer - 16/4/07 at 12:40 PM

Yep, you should be able to get them with covers on both sides if they are generall bearings and not specials.

Do you know what the number is?

x_flow57 - 16/4/07 at 01:37 PM

Have a look for a company caled Hayley Bearings & Power Transmissions, I think they are nationwide, they can advise and supply almost any bearings you need & at supprisingly good prices, at least they always have for me.

MkIndy7 - 16/4/07 at 06:10 PM

I would have thought bearings that have grease nipples would be a good thing.

The sealed for Life bearings do have a life span. Re-packable bearings obviously have a life span but I would have said if properly looked after it would be alot longer!.

Unless dirt/water getting into the bearing in the unsealed version is more likely

CraigJ - 16/4/07 at 10:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Yep, you should be able to get them with covers on both sides if they are generall bearings and not specials.

Do you know what the number is?

No idea what u mean bud. at the minute it still has the standard sierra ones still attached.

As for HAYLEY BEARINGS all i can say is F**king usless went down last week as theres one only a few miles away and the guy there might aswell have said he could'nt give a toss. Felt like hitting the git.

x_flow57 - 17/4/07 at 12:38 PM

Shame about your Hayleys experience, the staff here could not be more helpfull.

Minicooper - 17/4/07 at 12:56 PM

Hello,
I have sealed for life bearings on my Quaife ATB setup, they are normal bearings with covers on both sides to keep lub in and dirt out mounted in alloy bearing carriers.

I think though not sure that they isn't a bearing of the shelf for the sierra and the bearing landing areas on the diff itself need machining down to suit a standard sealed bearing, zcars use the pillar block style bearing which have grease nipples.

Cheers
David Rescued attachment Quaife Differential Carriers Small.JPG
Rescued attachment Quaife Differential Carriers Small.JPG

Doug68 - 17/4/07 at 01:39 PM

All bearing suppliers tend to be a bit short with people if you don't know specifically what you want when you come in through the door.

Sealed bearings will be fine, a lot of motorcycle wheel bearings are sealed for life units and give many years service.

Because of the size shaft I expect you'll be shoving through it I think there'll be no way you can find a bearing that wont carry the load.

Have a look at: http://timken.dirxion.com/

Let us know the diameter of the shaft and I expect someone will come up with an SKF number for you.

andyps - 17/4/07 at 08:50 PM

If you want a ball bearing then you need the suffix ZZ for metal shields on both sides of the bearing or 2RS for a rubber shield on each side.

A bit further away for you, but try Spen Bearings in Cleckheaton or Garforth - they should be very helpful and give good service.

coozer - 17/4/07 at 09:35 PM

Well I say cover each side meaning sealed bearings. I work for NSK and we make bearings from 2mm ID up to over 6 feet in diameter.

Only problem is I cant get me hands on any in particular because they are made in different plants all over the world. I have to go to the local Bearing Services shop but the guys I've used in the past in Sunderland have been very helpful.

"Yes sir we have them in that size, which manufacturer would you like them from?"

'NSK?'

"Yes sir, we have them from NSK but the SKF ones are better quality and cheaper too."

'Hmmm, better quality? I don't think so! However SKF are just as good so I'll take them please'

"OK sir that will be £5 each"

'What? £5? They only cost 20p to make!'

"Well sir, do want them or not!"

Its a hard life sometimes....

CraigJ - 19/4/07 at 11:01 AM

Right got the old ones off just need to measure the shaft now. Been thinking now how the hell do i seal the part where the drive shafts go in because the lube will be able to escape though the gap?

Minicooper - 19/4/07 at 05:52 PM

Yes the lube can escape, I think most people in this situation use grease instead of oil, you still get a bit of weeping but nothing compared to what the chain can throw about!

Cheers
David

andyps - 19/4/07 at 09:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer

"OK sir that will be £5 each"

'What? £5? They only cost 20p to make!'

"Well sir, do want them or not!"

Its a hard life sometimes....

But NSK sell them to the distributors for about £3 each so who is the one making the profit? They might sell them to the car manufacturers for 50p, but distributors pay a lot more - I know, I used to work for Timken selling to distributors, but as I was also involved in pricing decisions I knew cost price and the prices we sold at to major OEM's. And another thing, NTN were generally the best (after Timken).