Board logo

Pipe work question ?
Kosmo - 13/4/07 at 09:34 PM

I'm nearly ready to start running the brake and fuel pipes, just need answers to the following questions. Concerning the brakes, I have twin master cylinders with bias bar setup, on the front I will be using Wilwoods and probably sierra on the rears. In regards to the fuel lines I have an 05 fuel inj R1 engine.

1) What size brake pipe do I use ?
2) What size fuel pipe do I use ?
3) Do I need to run 2 fuel lines ?
4) Does anyone have a diagram of the
brake pipe circuitry ?

Cheers, Kosmo.

mangogrooveworkshop - 13/4/07 at 10:28 PM

10mm fuel pipe copper

water as below Rescued attachment R1 2003 plumbing diagram.JPG
Rescued attachment R1 2003 plumbing diagram.JPG

Kosmo - 14/4/07 at 03:01 PM

Can anyone answer the brake pipe question and confirm how many fuel lines ? - ref above

Thanks
Kosmo.

b184 - 14/4/07 at 03:37 PM

standard size brake pipe 3/16" or 4.76mm in metric (its both the same).
would suggest
"saville copper tubin
see it all the time on ebay about £7-£9+ delivery.
dont forget to get ends & possibly tees and flaring tool
not sure about fuel line.

robertst - 14/4/07 at 05:23 PM

for fuel injection you need 2 fuel lines, one for delivery to the engine and another which takes excess fuel from the injectors back to the tank. or to a pump reservoir in some cars

[Edited on 14/4/07 by robertst]

britishtrident - 14/4/07 at 06:29 PM

Don't use copper tube for brake pipe. Use of copper for brake pipe is actually illegal in many countries.
Reasons for this has been covered in many many threads.

Brake tube of choice is Kunifer (as used by Volvo and SAAB, it is about 20% more expensive than copper but has better mechanical strength, fatigue & corosion ressistance than copper.

https://secure.visav.co.uk/avshop/products.asp?getcats=true&cat=29&scat=128

Alex B - 14/4/07 at 06:50 PM

I have heard about the copper issue. It`s still being sold aplenty. Will it pass SVA?
It`s on all the cars I own......never had a problem.

Alex

t.j. - 14/4/07 at 07:07 PM

copper is in NL no-problem.

Double secure connection although.

grtz

Kosmo - 14/4/07 at 08:40 PM

Thanks all, helpful as ever

Macbeast - 14/4/07 at 08:54 PM

I just came back from Detling having bought some copper brake pipe. Guy on Carbuilders solutions said copper was ok and easier to work, unless going racing when regulations might specify the harder line.

For fuel, many previous posts have said that 8mm copper microbore central heating tubing is fine (and cheap )

[Edited on 14/4/07 by Macbeast]

dnmalc - 15/4/07 at 07:10 AM

Remember that when sourcing the brake pipe fittings that bothe 10mm metric and imperial fittings will fit on the 3/16 brake pipe so make sure that you do not have more than one type

britishtrident - 15/4/07 at 02:44 PM

Ever wondered why no car manufacturer uses copper when its so cheaply available, all manufacturers these days they all either use plastic coated galvanised steel bundy or Kunifer.

Copper pipe both work hardens and age hardens which, it also has a short fatigue life. Yes copper is soft and easy to work when new but after it age hardens it becomes brittle unforgiving to work with and tends to split if bent.

The Kunifer alloy was designed specifically for the purpose it is very easy to flare and bend and dosen't wear or damage flaring tools.

[Edited on 15/4/07 by britishtrident]