Board logo

Axle Mount Paranoia!!
Surrey Dave - 22/7/03 at 12:46 PM

I remember when I welded the brackets to my axle casing , I was surprised how thin the axle tube was, I have visions of the weld holding but the axle tube giving way allowing the axle to drive straight into my backside!!
So I,m going to fit some safety plates, made from 1/8" plate on edge bolted to the existing trailing arm bolts but shaped to fit snuggly round the front of the axle, as a kind of insurance ,does anyone else worry about the design of the axle mounts...........or am I just a Southern Jessie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jasper - 22/7/03 at 01:26 PM

Southern Jessie I'd say and I would know!!

dozracing - 22/7/03 at 05:19 PM

Gets my vote as a jessie.

theconrodkid - 22/7/03 at 05:34 PM

depends how valuable to society you are

Peteff - 22/7/03 at 07:13 PM

The propshaft should stop it from doing you too much damage if it ever lets go. There will be some tubing and plate between you as well I hope, unless you are leaving it out to save weight. Another Jessie vote, methinks.

yours, Pete.

Mark Allanson - 22/7/03 at 07:14 PM

The welds will be easily strong enough if you relieve any stress risers. Basically make sure the is no place for a crack to start - make sure that the weld is fully finished off at the end of the bracket and file it smooth. The rest of the weld will look after itself if this area is properly finished off Rescued attachment Stress Risers.JPG
Rescued attachment Stress Risers.JPG

Rorty - 23/7/03 at 05:14 AM

Mark A, good post! IIRC, you're a welder by trade? I doubt many people would be aware of the importance of what you just pointed out.
If you want to see a good example of what Mark's referring to, the problem is most commonly found with some aluminium alloy seam/short welds. Whether they're MIG or TIG, unless the amperage/heat is well controlled, they'll frequently crack at their start/finish points.
It's a cause of brackets pulling out of steel chassis.

Surrey Dave - 23/7/03 at 10:27 AM

I'm still gonna make them!!!

Peace of mind is worth a little bit of unsprung weight!!

And dont forget I've got an 1800 CVH so the axle could get ripped out at any time!!!!!!!!!

Why is Jasper an expert on 'Southern Jessies!!!!!!......Is it because of his proximity to Brighton........................Answers on a post card

[Edited on 23/7/03 by Surrey Dave]

timf - 23/7/03 at 10:35 AM

jasper the teddy bear king

[Edited on 23/7/03 by timf]