Board logo

Front flexible brake line
Shamrock GS - 17/8/06 at 10:07 PM

Can anyone give me some advice on how to route the front flexible hose from caliper to frame? Do I need to attach it to a wishbone ? Should I cut a hole in the ali and if so are there grommet issues?

Pictures would be really helpful if anyone has some.

Thanks

Gary

John Bonnett - 18/8/06 at 05:50 AM

The flexible pipe will go straight from the caliper to a bulkhead fitting that locates on a solidly made bracket welded to the chassis. No grommets and no fixing to aluminium panelling. It must be firm and solid. Rally Design will give you all the help you need on the selection of fittings etc.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

John

907 - 18/8/06 at 07:00 AM

Hi, and Welcome.

I needed an excuse to test my camera. I had an elephant poo on the lens.

This is how I did mine. Ally will have a cutout in it to clear the nut.

I bought them from a show. They were marked as Mk 3/4 Cortina.

They are 520mm total length, and my w/bones are book length.

Hope this helps

Paul G Rescued attachment Brake-flexy-001s.jpg
Rescued attachment Brake-flexy-001s.jpg

02GF74 - 18/8/06 at 07:27 AM

search on here for my questiojn about flexi lines.

I have similar arrangement = bulkhead fitting on little tab on chassis that then goes through a grommet in side panel.

I have cortina uprights hence disc/calipers and these have small pipe to which the flexi joins - length of flexi is 450 mm for me (may be different for yours.)

People have put the bulkhead end in the side panel and that seems fine.

Having said all that, since I have dismembered my master cylinder, I got some braided hoses so will be undoing last weekend's work and fit them on (seems the closer I get to SVA, the more I am taking apart).

I will need to make a rubber grommet ssince the braided hoses are just over 6 mm dia but rubber ones are 10 mm.

Ensure that they are long enough and don't foul on the wheel/tyre whan at full lock. There is no magic formula but by putting some "twist" into the line at the bulkhead fitting, you can "persuade" the hose to go in a certain way.

If you look at the photo above ^^^, the fitting to the caliper is not quite right - it has bulkhead fitting but should be using the shorter threaded one (doubt that it is a problem - judging by the placcy covers, those a goodridge hoses)

found an examle here - look carefullly at the ends of the 2 lines on the left.

[Edited on 18/8/06 by 02GF74]

Shamrock GS - 18/8/06 at 11:28 AM

Great advice all - thanks very much. This is exactly what I need!

G