Board logo

steering column mount
locoboy - 23/7/06 at 04:02 PM

Hi fellas,

Im putting in my steering column and have come across a bit of a hitch.

The small grey bush that the triangular end of the column passes through needs to fit into a mounting tube in the drivers footwell bulkhead.

Mine is a real tight fit in the tube, it will go in but it needs hammering in.

Am i right in thinking that this bush beeds to rotate in the tube?

even if i grease the bush its still going to be way to tight a fit to allow free movement of the steering wheel.

what are my options?

how have other manufacturers designed these mountings?

BTW its a GTS im building.

[Edited on 23/7/06 by locoboy]

Mark Allanson - 23/7/06 at 04:17 PM

The bearing should be a smooth sliding fit, shouldn't need any grease or hammering... It is this one your are describing? Rescued attachment Column Bearing.jpg
Rescued attachment Column Bearing.jpg

locoboy - 23/7/06 at 05:11 PM

Yes Mark that's the one.

All i have is a tube thats been welded through the footwell at a pre set angle which the grey bush goes into......... no bearing or anything fancy.

Heres a piccy

[img][/img]

andyace - 24/7/06 at 07:43 AM

Mine fits in easily and does not stick, no grease required.

David Jenkins - 24/7/06 at 07:48 AM

The inner plastic bit should be an easy fit in the outer bit. However, the outer bit was a complete bar-steward to get into the rubber grommet that holds it in the mounting bracket!

David

Mike R-F - 24/7/06 at 08:56 AM

I don't think the 'tube welded to chassis' method of mounting the bush is the best approach. I know the Avon has this too. I tried this way first on my (self built) chassis but abandoned it in favour of the plate that holds both the outer & inner bush just as Mr Ford intended rather than trying to bash the inner into a bit of tube where it's a tight fit and probably running on a rough surface which will wear the bush out sooner rather than later. Bear in mind the dreaded self-centering test for the SVA. How is your car going to self-centre if the bush won't turn in the sleve?

BKLOCO - 24/7/06 at 10:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
The inner plastic bit should be an easy fit in the outer bit. However, the outer bit was a complete bar-steward to get into the rubber grommet that holds it in the mounting bracket!

David

David.
The GTS chassis does not use the rubber grommet outer bit.
It just has a solidly mounted steel tube that is used for the outer bearing surface.

David Jenkins - 24/7/06 at 10:34 AM

Ah... that explains my confusion!