Board logo

wrong steering wheel or boss ?
graememk - 1/3/06 at 08:37 PM

Please help, I’m away from home at the moment so it’s a good time to do some problem solving, but that’s hard work so thought I’d do a bit of thinking about the kit.

I bought a steering wheel (mountney) and boss from a mate that has a caterham (zzzzz), it didn’t fit as the boss was wrong, I bought a ford boss that fits the mk but now the boss is much smaller them the wheel, is there any other conversion I can buy or do I need a different wheel or a different boss?

Liam - 1/3/06 at 08:53 PM

That's odd - Caterham normally use the smaller 3-bolt on 50mm PCD pattern for their steering wheels, so your Caterham wheel would be 'smaller' than an aftermarket boss which is commonly the 6-bolt on 70mm PCD? Or is that what you mean?

Well that's what happened to me - I bought a Caterham wheel and boss which were both the smaller 3-bolt pcd. I then got a Momo ford fitting boss which is 6-bolt 70mm PCD and simply redrilled the steering wheel to fit.

Does that help? If your problem is really the other way round, i.e. you have a steering wheel with 6-bolt 70mm PCD and a 3-bolt 50mm PCD boss, then you might just want to get another boss. That's assuming you cant just drill your wheel for the smaller PCD (cos maybe it has a big hole in the middle). The advantage of a big 6-bolt aftermarket boss is that they keep the indicator cancelling, horn button, and collapsibility. The small 3-bolt fitting stuff is for race cars normally and dont tend to keep those features - it's just a lump of metal.

LIam

[Edited on 1/3/06 by Liam]

graememk - 1/3/06 at 08:55 PM

to clarify, the boss will go through the hole in the wheel..... ie the hole in the wheel is bigger than the boss. or the boss is to small for the hole.

Mark Allanson - 1/3/06 at 08:57 PM

I had a mountney boss, the casting quality was so poor that the steering lock wouldn't work, the pawl just skitted over the slots.

I cut open my original sierra wheel and removed the boss and welded up a colapsable section to attach to the wheel. Rescued attachment Homemade Boss.jpg
Rescued attachment Homemade Boss.jpg

graememk - 1/3/06 at 09:04 PM

bugger i threw the old ford wheel away.... arghghgh

Liam - 1/3/06 at 09:07 PM

So you got the little race style boss and a big 6-bolt wheel then. In that case you either need a new boss (often come up on ebay) or an adaptor like this...

Rally design adaptor

Personally i'd get a replacement boss so it's collapsable and has the horn and indicator cancelling in it, but up to you...

Liam

graememk - 1/3/06 at 09:39 PM

ok so wheres the best place to buy a boss from for my mountney wheel ?

would be good if steering lock and indicators worked ok

Mark Allanson - 1/3/06 at 09:54 PM

I searched everwhere for something that I thought would pass the SVA, but without result, thats why I spent 6 hours designing, welding, fettling my own! It passed the SVA, looks great.

See the difference in quality between ford and the other! Rescued attachment Homemade Boss2.jpg
Rescued attachment Homemade Boss2.jpg

graememk - 1/3/06 at 09:58 PM

ok so whos going to sell me an old ford wheel then, please pritty please

eddymcclements - 1/3/06 at 10:31 PM

Post some photos of what you've got (when you're back at home) and I'll see what I have to suit.

As I understand it, the Caterham upper column is, or used to be, an Allegro part with a spline while the Sierra uses a large hex end. I may have an old Sierra wheel centre and I'll definitely have a 6-bolt hub for the Sierra column becoming spare in a few days time when I change my column. This hub has two sets of mounting holes to fit both of the common 6-bolt PCDs.

Cheers,

Eddy

Liam - 1/3/06 at 11:07 PM

I have a sierra wheel centre already removed from the wheel and turned down. I was making my own boss a bit like Mark when i picked up my Momo one cheap and saved myself the hassle. You can have it if you want. The quality of my Momo boss is fine, by the way.

Liam

Hellfire - 2/3/06 at 02:11 PM

We had a Mountney boss and had to return it as the quality was so poor - similar to what has been described. For £2 more the MOMO one is far superior and fit great.

S