Board logo

Sierra column bearing?
Gav - 13/2/06 at 08:11 PM

Ive seen on some cars use a big bearing for the seirra column, in the middle near where it touches the top rail where pedals are.
ill try and post a pic later once i find one if no one knows what im talking about.

Where can you buy them from?

[Edited on 13/2/06 by Gav]

big_wasa - 13/2/06 at 08:17 PM

Do you meen this Link ?

Gav - 13/2/06 at 08:27 PM

Kind of...

Ive seen what i thought was actual bearings used, in fact i think their is a pic of one in 'The Book' unless it was just a rubber bush that had been sprayed silver...

dave_w11 - 13/2/06 at 09:04 PM

Should there've been one of those with the donor car? I only ended up with what looks like the inner part of that but it has loads of grooves in it. I think it must've just been spinning against the metal in the hole where the outer bit should've been Think I'll order one of those off ebay I was wondering how best to mount that bit of the column.

Danozeman - 13/2/06 at 09:10 PM

Some of them look to have a metal ring over the lower bit of it which makes it look like a proper bearing.

gttman - 13/2/06 at 09:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dave_w11
Should there've been one of those with the donor car? I only ended up with what looks like the inner part of that but it has loads of grooves in it. I think it must've just been spinning against the metal in the hole where the outer bit should've been Think I'll order one of those off ebay I was wondering how best to mount that bit of the column.

mine was exactly the same... so I bought one off that guy on ebay abut a week ago.

big_wasa - 13/2/06 at 09:47 PM

Thats the one then. Sometimes the rubber is silver.

There is one in the donor but like many many other things the outer bit I forgot to take out.

As said the center bit was well worn and grooved as it would be after 12 years and 120k miles of use. I got a new one from this seller and can recomend him. Mind you they are going fast as I think he had over 20 when I got mine last week.

[Edited on 13/2/06 by big_wasa]

Dusty - 13/2/06 at 10:20 PM

Try this link on the NW Robin Hood site for an elegant solution.

Bob C - 14/2/06 at 12:00 AM

here's wot I did. similar in a way to the robin hood solution. From memory it was a 20mm plummer block. What you can't see (because thy aren't there yet) are 3 slivers of 3mm steel to wedge on the three sides of the triangle & get nipped up by the grubscrews (which are conveniently at 120 degrees on the bearing
Bob Rescued attachment mastcyl.jpg
Rescued attachment mastcyl.jpg

Gav - 14/2/06 at 11:08 AM

Aye thats the sort of thing, must admit i like the idea the guy had for his robin hood.