Board logo

Brake hardline to flexi interface
chrisf - 9/2/06 at 03:49 PM

Gents:

How do you guys connect the brake hardlines to the flexi when there is an aluminum/fiberglass panel in the way? Seems like one can connect a braket to the chassis through which the male hardline passes and connects to the flexi. If doing so, one will need to drill a big, 1" hole through the ali panel to allow the flexi to pass through.

Or...

Do you guys drill a small hole in the ali panel though which the male hardline passes and interfaces with the flexi? If doing it this way, would there not be constant stress on the ali panel everytime the suspension moves about?

--Thanks, Chris

[Edited on 9/2/06 by chrisf]

David Jenkins - 9/2/06 at 04:04 PM

I used a flexi hose male bulkhead fitting - the threaded part is extra-long - which was bolted directly to the ali skin. I did put extra-large stainless steel washers on both sides to spread the load (sold as 'penny washers' in some places, 'repair washers' in others). I got the largest I could find, and drilled out the holes to 10mm clearance.

Oh - I used a smear of sikaflex to glue the washers in place, and to make it more rigid.

David

MartinDB - 9/2/06 at 05:06 PM

Found some pics of mine.

Front Apr 07
Front Apr 07

Paneling 2
Paneling 2

The fixings were part of the flexi as they were supplied by Sylva.
Martin.

Danozeman - 9/2/06 at 05:13 PM

MIne are as above too.

chrisf - 9/2/06 at 05:25 PM

Thanks, gents. My flexis look at bit different, as shown below. Any ideas on how I should go about this?

--Thanks, Chris Rescued attachment DSCN0075.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN0075.JPG

chrisf - 9/2/06 at 05:26 PM

Here is how I currently have the system plumbed in the front. See how my ali panel sticks out from the chassis a bit... Rescued attachment DSCN0076.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN0076.JPG