Board logo

Clean sierra steering column
the moa 2 - 29/11/05 at 12:32 AM

Im wanting to know how people have modified there siera column so as not to use switches and have a nice clean looking column.

Excuse if sounds dumb but ive taken a look and im thinking some grindings needs to done to remove all the key barrel etc to get disired effect unless anyone else has some ideas.

Chippy - 29/11/05 at 12:40 AM

Not sure, but I believe that the steering lock is required for the SVA, but having just read your other post with bits for sale, guess you have been down that road already.

Peteff - 29/11/05 at 12:51 AM

The metal's really soft. Just hacksaw the lock and the ignition barrel off and keep the bearing part.

Howlor - 29/11/05 at 08:11 AM

I bought a turned down exchange unit from Mac#1 for £20. A quick polish and it came up a treat. Rescued attachment DSCF9715.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF9715.JPG

phelpsa - 29/11/05 at 08:21 AM

I cut mine off with a hacksaw and used the grinder to get it flat! 10 minute job at most.

Adam

DarrenW - 29/11/05 at 11:23 AM

I used Mac#1 modified one - £20 exchange. Well worth it. looks very understated and smart. Nicely finishes off the column. Compliments the DigiDash and savage switch format very well indeed.

Steering lock not required for SVA but you will have to fit an alternative immobilisation device.

zxrlocost - 29/11/05 at 11:47 AM

like a cut off hidden switch??

or a proper immobiliser?

cheers
chris

DarrenW - 29/11/05 at 11:53 AM

SVA says that it cant be activated when engine is running, but i think there is a strange interpretation that adds this i sfrom the drivers seat. Ie when driving along the immobiliser wont all of a sudden stop the engine or prevent the car from being driven.

Ive heard of people fitting battery kill switch under bonnet. Id check this with your local VOSA test centre tho. Mine was happy that ive fitted a toad laserkey type immobiliser.

the moa 2 - 29/11/05 at 10:20 PM

Yep already done me SVA
so dont care !

I think for £20 i might get it done professionaly.

Cheers guys.

NS Dev - 29/11/05 at 11:18 PM

get an opel manta steering column instead of the shitty sierra thing!

Much better and "clean" as std!

it's what I'm using! (and certainly another on here has too)