Board logo

Axle Movement
Mark Allanson - 19/1/03 at 09:30 PM

How much vertical axle movement can I expect, I know this will vary with total built weight and type of damper fitted and spring rates, but as a general rule?

My present shocks have excellent damping characteristics, but the ride is a little firm!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Allanson - 19/1/03 at 09:34 PM

The image to go with the above!! Rescued attachment DCP_0431sml.jpg
Rescued attachment DCP_0431sml.jpg

stephen_gusterson - 20/1/03 at 12:20 AM

its gonna depend on the weight of the car, the rate of the spring, the force you hit the bump at and the travel in the shocks.

My shocks have 4 ins travel, so at the very worse case you are going to get 4 inches movement at the shock.

There's a reasonable bet your gonna hit a big bump sometime!

The other aspect is that of that 4 ins travel, the car should be sitting somewhere in the middle of that to allow for rebound movement, so thats perhaps 1 1/2 droop, 2 1/2 compression, or normal upward movement, or however you decide to set the suspension up.

atb

steve

Jon Ison - 20/1/03 at 07:15 AM

looking at the "clean" bits on my rear shocks i would guess i use around 2" of travel, there capable of more but that seems to be all it use's on a reg basis, they do btm out from time to time though don't they "Chris the speed ramp jocky PTM".....remember ?