Board logo

New light weight Rear Callipers
davidwag - 20/9/05 at 09:25 PM

Hi all,

Just spotted that Rally Design are doing some new rear callipers.

Don't seem a bad price £59.50

And a Kilo a piece lighter than a Sierra one.

David Rescued attachment RD3637.jpg
Rescued attachment RD3637.jpg

indykid - 20/9/05 at 09:28 PM

how does that compare weightwise to 8" drums?

just out of curiosity really
tom

highspeeddirt - 20/9/05 at 11:31 PM

Rally Design say this caliper weighs 2.2kg a saving of 1kg over sierra calipers, but this site

http://www.btinternet.com/~robert.collingridge/kitcar/design/brakes/index.html

lists the sierra caliper at 2675g including the carriers. Maybe Rally Design include the pads in the weight. The disc still weighs nearly 3.5kgs.

I should be getting my 8" drums tommorrow so I will weigh them then.

Steve

Rorty - 21/9/05 at 04:17 AM

That caliper looks familiar, but I can't remember it's origins. Peugeot? Citroen?

smart51 - 21/9/05 at 07:03 AM

does it have the bleed nipple at the top rather than the bottom on the sierra?

tadltd - 21/9/05 at 08:28 AM

It's off a VAG group car (VW, Audi, SEAT, Skoda) - it's identical to one on a dics-braked axle that I'm currently fitting to a SEAT Cordoba.

Rorty - 21/9/05 at 09:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tadltd
It's off a VAG group car (VW, Audi, SEAT, Skoda) - it's identical to one on a dics-braked axle that I'm currently fitting to a SEAT Cordoba.

That's where I saw it; on the back of a Mk V GTi.
Incidently, they're ideal for an IRS set-up as the rear stub is a bolt-on affair with an integral caliper bracket. Rescued attachment stub_axle-rear_99-04 GOLF,GTI,JETTA 1.8T,VR6,2.0,TDI-DISC BRAKE.jpg
Rescued attachment stub_axle-rear_99-04 GOLF,GTI,JETTA 1.8T,VR6,2.0,TDI-DISC BRAKE.jpg

Matthew_1 - 21/9/05 at 11:50 AM

This is probably a dumb question, but are those calipers straight swaps for the Ford units. Do they fit straight on a ford sierra hub ?

Bob C - 21/9/05 at 12:10 PM

not totally ideal rorty - how do you drive the wheels ? ? ? ? ?
Bob

Rorty - 21/9/05 at 12:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
not totally ideal rorty - how do you drive the wheels ? ? ? ? ?
Bob

Doh! Hadn't got around to that part yet!
Actually, I was investigating them for a FWD project recently, using a Golf/Jetta as the donor, but alas, it isn't to be.

pathfinder - 26/9/05 at 09:17 PM

Has anyone got a part number for these callipers, what VAG models where they standard equipment on?

Rorty - 26/9/05 at 09:26 PM

I don't know the part number, but they're fitted to all Golf/Jetta/GTi and Cabrio from '99-'04.

Gav - 26/9/05 at 10:01 PM

ill have a look at my cupra tomorrow and see if they are the same

Gav - 27/9/05 at 11:21 AM

Yep the same on the cupra too

Minicooper - 27/9/05 at 07:12 PM

Hello all,
I have apair of these calipers, they are no more than a pound lighter the pair, all things been equal
You possibly also may need to go a larger wheel, from the caliper mounting bolt to the top of the fins is about three and half whereas the Sierra is about two inchs
£69.50 plus VAT each is what you pay for what's in the picture

Cheers
David