Board logo

Should I return them...Calipers
Paul (Notts) - 16/9/05 at 06:43 PM

Six weeks ago I ordered a wilwood powerlite calliper kit with vented discs for sierra uprights from a well known company.

The first kit arrived but nothing seemed right ...the discs did not fit into the callipers, wrong pins ect..

The company apologised and asked me to return the full kit ( this upset the old lady at the post office as she could not lift the box!!)

The new kit arrived earlier in the week and looked fine!!!

When fitted last night I fin that I had to make a 1mm spacer to fit on the hub so that the disc ran central in the calliper and more importantly the disc falls well short of the end of the pads..

The pistons are even slightly further out than the end of the dick..

This seem like a major problem with the kit.. I don’t want to spend money on something that isn’t going to do a proper job..

the basic question is -- as the pistons are not fully lined up with disc and the pad will end up wearing with a lip -- should I return it?

see pics Rescued attachment june 046.jpg
Rescued attachment june 046.jpg

Paul (Notts) - 16/9/05 at 06:44 PM

another pic Rescued attachment june 051.jpg
Rescued attachment june 051.jpg

ady8077 - 16/9/05 at 07:09 PM

Hi Paul

I've been looking at getting a 4 pot kit and yours doesn't seem right, surely the pad should be covered by the disk?

What’s the mounting bracket look like

P S its common to have to use washers to central the disk, the ford callipers were sliding and account for small tolerances in the casting of the upright

Adrian

Jon Ison - 16/9/05 at 07:12 PM

Paul, don't know where you got them from, i use ralley design for willwood stuff and never been disappointed.
You will have paid a lot of money for them and should expect them too be perfect and nothing less, as for sending them back if your not happy then it seems you already have your answer.

wilkingj - 16/9/05 at 07:18 PM

Ring them first, you may just have the wrong discs or something like that.

Paul (Notts) - 20/9/05 at 07:10 PM

Callipers are going back for a full refund ...

supplier apologised and said there was a problem with the kit...

always nice to deal with a friendly supplier..

ady8077 - 20/9/05 at 08:15 PM

Glad you got it sorted

Have you seen MNR's brake kit?

http://www.mnrltd.co.uk/Brakes.html

Adrian

esn163 - 26/11/05 at 03:19 PM

Hi Paul, did you get some brakes in the end? If so, what did you go with and from where?

Ed