Board logo

Cycle wing repair?
Alez - 16/9/05 at 10:07 AM

One of the stands has broken, see pics. Not strange because a while ago I bended them in a different way in order to increase their clearance to the tyre. A friend of mine has a TIG and a bench so welding with the broken bit off the car is not a problem at all. Welding without taking it off the car is a problem however, due to location of his garage (could be done, but it would be complicated). How big of a problem would it be to take this bit off? How is it done?

Cheers,

Alex

RED arrows point to the broken stand

YELLOW arrow points to a bolt I can see there

GREEN arrow points to a big bolt which can be seen from underneath, inside that piece

(The last pic was taken from where this green arrow is, it shows this big bolt.)

Alez - 16/9/05 at 10:08 AM

Pic Rescued attachment PICT0007.jpg
Rescued attachment PICT0007.jpg

Alez - 16/9/05 at 10:08 AM

Pic Rescued attachment PICT0008.jpg
Rescued attachment PICT0008.jpg

Alez - 16/9/05 at 10:09 AM

Pic Rescued attachment PICT0010.jpg
Rescued attachment PICT0010.jpg

mike-ktm - 16/9/05 at 10:45 AM

Easy enough to take off, you've got the right idea there. Undo yellow bolt, then green nut - may need a ball joint seperator then to pull the top ball joint out (prob get away with it ok though to be honest). Where are you located ?

Good luck, let us know if you're struggling.

Mike

Alez - 16/9/05 at 10:57 AM

Thank you Mike!! "Ball joint separator", hmm didn't know about these but I'll try just as you described, I guess I need to put the wheel as low as possible (jack the car up a lot) to give the upper arm the maximum play. Let's hope it works

I live in Madrid (I'm spanish), but lived in Surrey for two years, when I bought my Locost

Thanks!