Board logo

wide wheels
pathfinder - 30/6/05 at 02:01 PM

I have been looking at 7 type cars for a while and notice that most people are using road derived 7” wheels and tyres. is this purely for cost reasons?
I have also seen a few hill climbers using 10.5” and 8.5” wheels, does the extra rubber make any difference on a 7?

Opinions on the web seem to vary greatly on the subject of increasing tyre width, some are for and some are against, please discuss!

scoobyis2cool - 30/6/05 at 02:33 PM

You'll find that people use even narrower tyres than 7", particularly at the front. The problem with wider tyres is that with such a light car, once you get a bit of rain the car will aquaplane very easily. I think you'd be better off sticking to narrower tyres, this will give a better car overall.

Pete

DarrenW - 30/6/05 at 03:30 PM

im using 7" wide 15" dia wheels purely cos they were there. i dont intend going any wider than 195 tyres. If poss i would have gone narrower on the wheels. 13" wheels with 185 rubber seem to be popular.

JonBowden - 30/6/05 at 03:43 PM

Is there any arguement for choosing narrow high profile tyres - say 165 70
Would this give better (or more enjoyable) handling at the expense of less grip ?

pathfinder - 30/6/05 at 03:44 PM

. Rescued attachment 1.JPG
Rescued attachment 1.JPG

gazza285 - 30/6/05 at 03:47 PM

Who cares about the wheels, I want that BDA.

Jeffers_S13 - 30/6/05 at 04:14 PM

I think its mostly for cosmetic reasons that people go for wide wheels, have a look at the RCB77 website for some extreme wide tyres

Liam - 30/6/05 at 08:44 PM

If you only plan to race the thing on nice smooth tracks and always in the dry, the wider the better! Ain't some guy on here using formula 1 wheels and tyres?

I'll stick with me 195/50 15s

Liam

JoelP - 30/6/05 at 08:49 PM

mine has 13x5.5 at the front, 7 at the rear with 205 tyres. Thats more than enough grip for a 1.6 pinto!

Its the age old debate about how the car breaks away when it runs out of grip. Make your own mind up!

smart51 - 30/6/05 at 09:43 PM

low profile tyres give better tyre control - they twist, stretch and roll less. This gives better turn in adn better response to small steering movements.

High profile tyres are more quashy and give a better ride.

Both tyres (for the same width and rolling circumference) give the same amount of "grip" because they have the same area of rubber touching the road.

I am told that high profile tyres loose their grip progressivley and very low profile tyres hold on longer but then let go more quickly.

Grintch - 1/7/05 at 04:06 PM

It all depends on the planned use of the car. My U.S. autocross car uses 8" front and 10" rear tires (slicks) and still has a good bit of overstear (190hp & 1250lb). I have played with the idea of going up to Formula Atlantic sized tires, 9" front and 14" rear, but for autocrossing a narrow car is generally better (to fit between the cones).

David Jenkins - 1/7/05 at 07:00 PM

I have 13" x 5.5" wheels with 185/70 tyres. Smooth ride, and an easy and predictable tail slide when I get silly/careless.

David