Board logo

Prop UJ alternatives....
tks - 29/4/05 at 01:12 PM

Has anyone an idea of an usable prop UJ

wich is the smallest possible and would resist the forces..???

at the moment i have enlarged my propadapter,

But i don't like the solution allot

a solution for me would be if i could find a small in diameter UJ like 50mm or something...
in that way i don't interfere with the slave clutch cilinder and will be able to mount it closer to the output shaft of the bike...

Has anyone ideas???

TKS

JB - 29/4/05 at 07:26 PM

Uj`s come in many different sizes for a variety of applications, Small ones are found on machinery typically printing machines. The smallest one in common use on vehicles for which you can get all the parts (yokes and flanges) is called an 1140 series.

If you contact Dunning and Fairbank here in the UK they should be able to help you out. They can supply all the different sizes of UJ available and build complete shafts.

JB

NS Dev - 2/5/05 at 12:21 PM

B100dy hell, John Beardmore is back!!!

Hows things John?

JoelP - 2/5/05 at 07:21 PM

tks, do you have any photos of the sprocket on your engine? i've got loads of sierra flanges and props sitting about.

JB - 3/5/05 at 08:57 PM

NS Dev,

Things are good. I have recently got a real job (instead of spending time building my cars) and had to move to Coventry. I was living in a rented room initially so no computer or garage.

I now have a house (and internet access) First job (unsurprisingly!) is to build a big garage! Then I need more power for the Minor so a turbo may get installed.

John

PS Was I missed?

tks - 3/5/05 at 09:29 PM

Basicly this is the prop i now.. have Rescued attachment Foto 006 small.JPG
Rescued attachment Foto 006 small.JPG

tks - 3/5/05 at 09:33 PM

and this is it mounted on the car...

my idea is, to go to a small diameter prop..

like 40mm and a small UJ and then i can make the angle also less and on top of that the conextion to the bike will be better (smaller) i have it now 90mm..

(still not the 200mm of WOODTSER)
the diameter is also small think its 45mm

if i could half the 90mm i will be statisfied..because that more then halfs the forces...

the smaller angle will only be an extra benefit on top of the rest....

maybe i then also can use again the room wich i needed to take from the passenger..

Hope you can help..

TKS

p.s. i was thinking of just cutting the sierra shaft in lets say half and there weld an nice piece in to go to diameter of the axle over a nice distance of lets say 100mm

the pice can also be an slider offcourse..

[Edited on 3/5/05 by tks] Rescued attachment 150105 005 small.JPG
Rescued attachment 150105 005 small.JPG

JoelP - 3/5/05 at 10:07 PM

that engine has a lot of stuff in the way! myself, i would either try to move the clutch cylinder, or ditch the engine and get a more commonly used one. from what i can tell from the photos, it looks like there isnt really space to get the u/j closer to the engine.

tks - 4/5/05 at 11:59 AM

nahhh

the engine is offcourse an exotic one.

but it runs and starts like hell and doesn't consume much petrol...

i will take some shots from above...
it will clear for both of us the situation....

if you have got an UJ arround 50mm i'm sure we can beat, the flange of the sierra is 100mm min i guess..??

soow the half of that can enter.

because of the angle the slave cilinder cant move / better not to move..

TKS