Board logo

Live Axle Bracket shock mount suggestions
GaryM - 7/3/05 at 06:52 PM

Hi Guys

I'm now moving onto fabricating my live axle brackets and the corresponding lower shock mounts.

I would appreciate any suggestions (and better still archive photo links) as to possible solutions other than weling & gussetting a standard U shaped bracket on the top of the axle bracket (as per the book).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Gary

Danozeman - 7/3/05 at 08:00 PM

Theres the other way in the book where it bolts to the side of the axle bracket. Not sure how its done..

clbarclay - 7/3/05 at 08:13 PM

A thick flat plate with a hole would mean you could use a shock unit with turret type bushes instead of bolt through.

britishtrident - 7/3/05 at 08:15 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=22061

Bolting to the side of the trailing arm bolt is only viable if you use longer shocks.

Also the shocker mounting bolts will work equally well aligned for-aft instead of inline with the axis of the axle.

clbarclay - 7/3/05 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtridentAlso the shocker mounting bolts will work equally well aligned for-aft instead of inline with the axis of the axle.

Origional range rovers had the damper one one side lent inwards + forwards and the other side lent inward + backwards.

timmy - 7/3/05 at 10:58 PM

Check out my lower brackets:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=RearShockerMount.JPG

I have use a bit of 50x50x4 RHS cut at about 50mm and mounted it vertically with one of the open ends fixed to the axle and the other to take the end of the shocker. I've also used a similar mount at the top and I reckon it's loads stronger than the U-brackets.

HTH,

Tim

phil m - 8/3/05 at 07:53 AM

same as above ----hole drilled to access bolt

Phil

phil m - 8/3/05 at 07:55 AM

pic attached this time Rescued attachment Image06.jpg
Rescued attachment Image06.jpg

britishtrident - 9/3/05 at 08:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by phil m
pic attached this time