Board logo

Spherical Bearings
Bananaman - 10/12/04 at 01:44 PM

Has anyone used spherical bearings on the upright/wheel end of their top and bottom wishbones. We use them on oval race cars and they are excellent.

Cheers
Michael

Mix - 10/12/04 at 01:54 PM

I'm planning to use a single rose joint on the outboard end of my upper rear wisbones coupled with double rose joints on the inboard end of the lower wishbones to allow me to adjust camber, toe and to a slight extent track on the IRS.
Bottom wishbones and uprights finished, just the top bones to sort out

Mick

Rob Lane - 10/12/04 at 03:41 PM

Here's a Westie fully kitted out. Rescued attachment westie01.jpg
Rescued attachment westie01.jpg

Cita - 10/12/04 at 05:12 PM

I was told that it depends on what you use the car for.If it's for daily use than the Rose joints are a bad choice 'cause the ride is supposed to be harsher and the Rose joints wear out relatively quick in daily use.
This doesnt help you much, is it

[Edited on 10/12/04 by Cita]

Bananaman - 11/12/04 at 07:21 AM

When I said about spherical bearings I didn't mean rose joints, just bearings in a cup. I'll try and get some pics and post. We use them in F2 Stock Car and they just don't wear out.

Cheers
Michael

Cita - 11/12/04 at 07:58 AM

I received a U2U from a very knowledgable person that the rose joint wear out quickly due the lack of lubrication.
If lubricated properly than a spherical bearing will last as long as any other bearing.
So to answer your question Bananaman:it can be done without problems

Rorty - 13/12/04 at 03:33 AM

Yes, the metal-tometal bearings will wear out very quickly. Don't be tempted to fit any of the washers with the bonded neoprene seals. They are worse than useless. The road dirt still gets past them and is then pretty well mixed with the grease into a substance like grinding paste.
The best bearings for harsh environments are the PTFE lined ones. The PTFE is a precision layer, retaining the accuracy of the unit, but also acts like a wiper seal, keeping the dirt out. Do not lubricate these bearings, the PTFE does it all.

Here's a spherical bearing "I prepared earlier." Rescued attachment wishbone03.jpg
Rescued attachment wishbone03.jpg

britishtrident - 13/12/04 at 07:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Cita
I received a U2U from a very knowledgable person that the rose joint wear out quickly due the lack of lubrication.
If lubricated properly than a spherical bearing will last as long as any other bearing.
So to answer your question Bananaman:it can be done without problems

In club racing best practice is to use WD40 to clean and lubricate rose joints after every run.

gazza285 - 13/12/04 at 06:22 PM

"I see trouble ahead"

Rorty - 13/12/04 at 08:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
"I see trouble ahead"

No trouble. Syd paint's a bad enough image of himself without me having to lend him a hand.
He'll probably keep up his intricate vindetta until he dies, so I've learned to accepted it. The police, my ISP and my web host are all aware of him too.
It's quite funny really, even though he's offered, I've never met the bloke!

He's gone right off the rails this time. I've not sent any "impolite messages via u2u, to people relating to this thread" (if any of you know different, please step forward), and I can confirm I haven't received any "rude messages" relating to this thread either, not even from Syd. Weird!

gazza285 - 13/12/04 at 09:24 PM

He does add a little spice to the proceedings though. Him and Considerably are two of my favourite "contributors" as they do lead to some good reading.