Board logo

Rear axle options - rover v8 powered locost - first build
Daviesdj - 31/3/13 at 07:36 PM

Hi guys - I am new to the forum and building my first locket - have build land rovers Fir ears and have recently been inspired to build a track pocket - taken the plunge an bought a galvanised chassis:-) Now thinking of suitable rear axle / running gear to handle quite big power. Realise there are many options - live axle strikes me as easier to fit and fabricate in but would like Independanr setup if possible for maximum versatility:-) matching front stub axles I should also bear in mind, really open to advise and hope to get some ideas. Have built the engine- 5.0 rover wih Buick 300 heads. Many thanks guys. Dave Davies

mookaloid - 31/3/13 at 08:37 PM

sounds like an interesting spec engine you have there. what sort of figures will it give out?

for a live axle something like a salisbury axle off a Jag or a Scimitar or perhaps a late capri axle with the LSD built in - not sure exactly which models they were fitted to but but I think they were in the Brooklands capri and some others?

sounds fun though

ludsonline - 31/3/13 at 08:49 PM

Anglia 105E or Shortened Capri Atlas axle, both good for 300 BHP

unijacko67 - 31/3/13 at 11:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ludsonline
Anglia 105E or Shortened Capri Atlas axle, both good for 300 BHP

No.

snapper - 1/4/13 at 05:26 AM

Independent Go Sierra it'll take most power outputs
Or you could use the Sierra did in a DeDion setup

sdh2903 - 1/4/13 at 06:19 AM

what about bmw? Diffs all beefy enough to take the power, plenty of Lsd's kicking about with half decent ratios too.

scudderfish - 1/4/13 at 09:15 AM

I've got an Atlas axle in my Fury.

unijacko67 - 1/4/13 at 09:51 AM

Alfa Julia 105 is what I’ve gone with, LSD as standard. Bit rare, but very strong, live axle. 108 PCD, Discs, Cable.

This is the LSD axle which should be able to handle the 240 bhp Honda S2000 engine.
This is the LSD axle which should be able to handle the 240 bhp Honda S2000 engine.

The ramps in the LSD diff will probably need making less steep (for it to work correctly) due to the kit being lighter than the donor car, but I'm keeping it standard to start with.

Simon - 1/4/13 at 09:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
what about bmw? Diffs all beefy enough to take the power, plenty of Lsd's kicking about with half decent ratios too.

Agree entirely and you won't be insulted by having to pay stupid money for a Sierra diff. I got a 2.28 : 1 diff and shafts shipped from germany for £150 ish. Mounting will be easy, make the rear uprights the same way as Sierra ones and it'll prob be stronger.

No brainer really; was going to put my bmw diff in toy car but sold car to pay for (a bit of) extension

ATB

Simon

dave_424 - 1/4/13 at 12:08 PM

A diff from a toyota supra will take any power that you want to throw at it, 800+ bhp, can be had for a reasonably price when compared to their strength, LSD available.

The BMW diffs that have been suggested I have a feeling are made at the same place, I know that both the supras and the BMW's have Getrag gearboxes.

Dave

Daviesdj - 1/4/13 at 05:40 PM

Many thanks for the replies guys - BMW sounds great- and there are many about - but how difficult would it be to maintain geometry and correct width of track? Custom prop shaft will have to be fabricated to mate up to the T5 gearbox.

In terms of output - the 5.0 with ported 300 heads (floors welded and faces angle skimmed) 1.77inch inlets- weber crossover manifold - hoping for 400 HP??? And NOS - have a similar 5.0 on my Landy with 50 NOS - magazine feature
Car - but edelbrock carb used

Simon - 1/4/13 at 07:03 PM

Width of track maintained by hub carriers and wishbones. You'll have to fabricate a prop no matter what combo you use (or have one made)

And don't worry about hp as traction issues come to the fore way sooner

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 1/4/13 by Simon]

Daviesdj - 1/4/13 at 08:25 PM

Would you shorted the half shaft then by cutting and welding on an over sleeve? Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm new to locost - really exits though - and really happy with the helpfulness of this forum

Simon - 3/4/13 at 10:40 PM

Without having either a kit or bmw rear end to play with, it's difficult to say as I don't know dimensions. I do know that the driveshafts I had, had a sliding joint in the middle which would've given a little leeway in whether or not they'd need shortening.

GKD use BMW bits and I've not seen any mention of shortening - not that that means much

ATB

Simon