Board logo

Sierra Uprights - Reconditioning
Chris_R - 3/5/04 at 11:03 PM

I've just removed my uprights (Sierra) and stripped them for a good scrub, but there's something bothering me. When I removed the bearing races from the front of the upright the apature seemed to be too small. As a result I have damaged the thin metal return that retains the bearing seal. It's hard to tell, but is this return an integral part of the upright, is it replacable or have I just ruined my hubs?

[Edited on 3/5/04 by Chris_R]

Hellfire - 3/5/04 at 11:32 PM

Do you have any pictures - description is difficult to visualize?

Chris_R - 3/5/04 at 11:48 PM

only poor quality webcam shots tonight. Will be able to get some good quality digi cam pics tomorrow though.

Chris_R - 3/5/04 at 11:50 PM

might give you an idea. Rescued attachment poor_upright_photo.jpg
Rescued attachment poor_upright_photo.jpg

Chris_R - 3/5/04 at 11:53 PM

images saved in archive Rescued attachment poor_upright_photo2.jpg
Rescued attachment poor_upright_photo2.jpg

zetec - 4/5/04 at 01:43 AM

Looks as if the outer part of the old oil seal is left in the upright. This should lever out with a screw driver and you can replace it with a new seal when you have finished cleaning and painting. The upright is very solid and you would need to give a real bashing to wreck it as long as you did not damage the bearing areas.

NS Dev - 4/5/04 at 06:56 AM

as Zetec says, that's just the remnant outer part of the old seal, you're ok!

Peteff - 4/5/04 at 08:45 AM

Grab it with some sidecutters and twist it. It will break. It's easier than levering it and you can't reuse it anyway

blueshift - 4/5/04 at 09:51 AM

I assume the rear hubs are similar:

from the middle out:
silver bit is bearing
blue bit is rubber part of the new seal
gold-ish bit is the thin metal bit of the new seal
then it's part of the hub.

Chris_R - 4/5/04 at 10:00 AM

cheers lads, you're a cracking bunch. It's a little rusted to tell if there's a join, even after spending 4 hours in the electrolysis bath. Still, thanks again.

Chris_R - 4/5/04 at 11:34 AM

took a while, but it's out. Rescued attachment poor_upright_photo3.jpg
Rescued attachment poor_upright_photo3.jpg