Board logo

Fabricated front upright, anyone made one?
mr henderson - 9/12/09 at 10:25 PM

The topic of uprights crops up a lot, quite often in a 'which is the least unsuitable for my build?' type of way.

So I wonder if anyone has had a go at making their own?

MakeEverything - 9/12/09 at 10:30 PM

Was going to in acccordance with the Rorty drawings, but never bothered as i picked up some proper used sierra ones for £30.

liam.mccaffrey - 9/12/09 at 10:36 PM

MNR were working on one, I took this pic at Total Kit car Live in 06???

mangogrooveworkshop - 9/12/09 at 10:40 PM

martin motorleria made his own

JoelP - 9/12/09 at 10:45 PM

liam pictures the raceleda one, which i believe MNR have now stopped making, though i may be wrong.

snakebelly - 10/12/09 at 09:10 AM

that picture isnt the raceleda one, the raceleda one is a one piece casting that one is fabricated

welderman - 10/12/09 at 10:07 AM

this is my attempt, does it work ?. i will have to see, lol. Rescued attachment 301120091213.jpg
Rescued attachment 301120091213.jpg

SPYDER - 10/12/09 at 10:18 AM

Hi there. Picture below shows the fabricated upright design on our Phoenix. It is basically made from two intersecting tubes. But there's the rub. The angles have to be spot on. A jig will almost certainly be required. In your case I guess you would have to mimic sierra geometry so there is the start point for a jig.
This level of fabrication isn't easy, that's why you don't often see fabricated uprights, particularly DIY ones.
If you do take the project on make sure that you enlist the services of a good welder.
Before you ask, no, we didn't make these ourselves, they came from Stuart Taylor Motorsport, albeit in un-finished form. We had to sort out the steering arms. They weren't welded by Eldon, either. His welding is loads better!
Geoff & Eldon.

[img][/img]

turbodisplay - 10/12/09 at 10:20 AM

If you wer to use the 2 intersecting tubes as above, i would get laser cut tube, so it was spot on.

Darren

flak monkey - 10/12/09 at 08:53 PM

I designed some a while back, but never released the drawings for safety reasons.

For long term safety they ideally need stress relieving.

Plus they are also very dependant on the welders competance.

MikeRJ - 10/12/09 at 10:34 PM

IIRC Rortys design used interlocking parts to ensure a decent level of accuracy of the assembled item (though it will still distort after welding I guess).