Board logo

Whoops - steering column
speedyxjs - 5/7/09 at 05:14 PM

I have just spent the last 3 hours in the garage making the steering column. I put it together and tried it out but the column is just fouling the chassis. Its only about 1 mm out so would mr IVA mind if i cut a slight grove in that side of the column?

Edit to apologize for picture quality

[Edited on 5-7-09 by speedyxjs] Rescued attachment DSC00250.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC00250.JPG

blakep82 - 5/7/09 at 05:19 PM

looks like more than 1mm... looks like the UJ is going to hit, and the pinch bolt. though i can't see the picture very clear

speedyxjs - 5/7/09 at 05:29 PM

The UJ clears with about 4mm and there is no pinch bolt (its welded). That pic is the worse part of it. If i turn it any more, it move away from the chassis. I think the UJ moved when i was welding it and i didnt realise until this morning

omega 24 v6 - 5/7/09 at 05:49 PM

Don't know which way round the pic is but if it's as I suspect ( steering wheel to the left) then can't you just lift the position of the wheel slightly anf this will make the joint end go down and clear??
I wouldn't cut away the shaft personally.

speedyxjs - 5/7/09 at 06:25 PM

Yeah, the steering wheel is to the left. I cant lower the steering wheel but come to think of it, i may be able to lower the bearing. Will have a look tomorrow

[Edited on 5-7-09 by speedyxjs]

austin man - 5/7/09 at 08:18 PM

also remember that vibrations will also have an effect you may find if you do not reposition something steering will be unmanagable due to contact with the chasis, las ting you wan to do is put grooves in anything as this will only cause unwanted weakness

richard - 5/7/09 at 09:41 PM

Have you considered putting another uj and a rose joint ( to support it ) to take the steering shaft away from the chassis.
I had to do this as in my case i could not get line of sight with the rack coupling.
I managed to get a piece of tube that fitted the rose joint and then fit this in the steering shaft.
Richard.