Board logo

Corner weighting..
coozer - 2/7/09 at 09:37 AM

Possible to use bathroom scales to corner weight?

Will I need 4 to do it all at once or can I get away with 2 packing the other end up to keep it level?

blakep82 - 2/7/09 at 10:27 AM

yep, apparently so. i asked the same question a few months back. you can even do them 1 at a time, as long as you put something the same thickness as the scales under the other wheels

steve m - 2/7/09 at 10:36 AM

I did my weights this way using bathroom scales x 2 (while wife was at work !)

and as said you will need to do it on level ground, and put equal blocks of wood to the height of the scales under the other two wheels, so at all times the car is level to the ground

MK9R - 2/7/09 at 11:07 AM

i suppose its better to do 1 at a time so you are using the same scales?? Although would be a bit tedious while making adjustments

MikeR - 2/7/09 at 11:12 AM

Mr Henderson posted a thread about this & then got into a debate with Matt (Procomp).

Summary - Mr H posted a way of doing it with scales. Matt said it wasn't accurate enough.

My view - both are right. If you're car is miles out scales will get it closer. If you want to do it properly - pay someone.

(i've got 8 cheep asda scales for when i do it - i'll also take a series of measurements before to plot the weight differences on each scale so i can correct the values they report).

richardh - 2/7/09 at 11:13 AM

true but you wont get it cross / axle weighted very well.
remember to do this with you in the car.
check your ride heights are all the same first.
etc.

Gergely - 2/7/09 at 11:48 AM

While I understand that it is best to pay someone to do it properly, could someone still write down step-by-step how to do the corner weighting? How and what do you adjust precisely? In what order?
Thanks,
Gergely

wicket - 2/7/09 at 11:55 AM

Have a look at mad-butchers 1st posting here

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=112962

StevieB - 2/7/09 at 05:03 PM

We do it using 8 sets of scales (2 under each wheel) that cost a massive 2.50 each.

We checked them to ensure they all read the sam and are accurate.

We've had no problems using the method and have got both my car and my friends' nicely balances at a recent trackday (bit of a shame both cars decided to have 'issues' shortly afterwards )

richardh - 2/7/09 at 08:56 PM

if you dont have access to proper equipment then do thr best you can.

my recommendation is to pay the people that have the right tools / environment to do the whole setup of weight and camber toe / castor etc

i've noticed a massive difference and much more driveable.

Akin it to having a rolling road tune up done - massive difference......................

MK9R - 3/7/09 at 06:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
We do it using 8 sets of scales (2 under each wheel) that cost a massive 2.50 each.

We checked them to ensure they all read the sam and are accurate.

We've had no problems using the method and have got both my car and my friends' nicely balances at a recent trackday (bit of a shame both cars decided to have 'issues' shortly afterwards )

Why 2????

mad-butcher - 3/7/09 at 08:02 AM

don't forget to roll the car to settle the suspension after each adjustment

tony Rescued attachment corner weight setup.JPG
Rescued attachment corner weight setup.JPG

Ninehigh - 4/7/09 at 11:37 PM

Iirc Procomp's argument was that for the same price as 8 sets of scales you could get it done properly..