Board logo

Maintenence ? wots that !
clairetoo - 12/5/09 at 06:33 PM

My Fury failed it's MOT yesterday - despite my father driving around half of Leicestershire to track down a headlamp (NEVER leave them hanging on the connector .......... )
The fail shocked me - it wasnt anything I had checked , but massively worn top wishbone bushes
There was nearly a millimeter of up and down play - strange , cuz they were fine last time I greased them.............back in about 2004 !
I figured theres no way I can get new ones in under a week - so off they came tonight , and off to the shed with a length of hollow bar I found at work . I reamed out the bush's (took over 1mm to get them round) , and turned up a couple of new tubes - and I've now just got to remember to pull them out from time to time , and grease them

Wishbone
Wishbone

theconrodkid - 12/5/09 at 06:54 PM

naughty naughty,but i do admit to never opening the bonnet of my car or even washing it for a year

clairetoo - 12/5/09 at 06:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
naughty naughty,but i do admit to never opening the bonnet of my car or even washing it for a year

"washing" ? I know what it means , but whats it got to do with cars ?

omega0684 - 12/5/09 at 07:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
quote:

it makes them look nice and shiney!

what you making tonight?

[Edited on 12/5/09 by omega0684]

clairetoo - 12/5/09 at 07:08 PM

quote:

what you making tonight?

[Edited on 12/5/09 by omega0684]

Beans on toast as soon as I get my hands clean

MikeRJ - 12/5/09 at 07:16 PM

quote:
I've now just got to remember to pull them out from time to time , and grease them

That is a very common problem on all the inboard Sylva cars, my Strikers in need of a bit of fettling. I was considering replacing the nylon with phosphor bronze bushes and adding a grease nipple to the center tube to be honest.

[Edited on 12/5/09 by MikeRJ]

stevegough - 12/5/09 at 08:28 PM

quote:
quote:

Obviously a 'dirty' blonde !

Did you chase up those headlights I wrote to you about?

rusty nuts - 12/5/09 at 08:28 PM

quote:

Only a year? My tin top went three years without washing! Reminds me I must see if the bonnet still opens.

skodaman - 12/5/09 at 08:44 PM

I just wash the windows on my tintops. Washing the bodywork just shows up all the faults more. Motorbikes and locosts are for washing and polishing. Tintops are for taking the kids to school and doing the shopping. Also for transporting locost engines, gearboxes etc etc.

clairetoo - 12/5/09 at 08:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stevegough

Obviously a 'dirty' blonde !

Did you chase up those headlights I wrote to you about?

Cheers - but I managed to get a headlight locally , and fit it , in time for the MOT - just a bit annoyed it failed on the bush's

As for washing tin-tops ....... I've had my corsa for 3 1/2 years - and never washed in once (not much point now , the paint went dull ages ago and one corner is a bit crumpled)

[Edited on 12/5/09 by clairetoo]

omega0684 - 12/5/09 at 09:09 PM

i bet your fury HASN'T seen soap and water for that long as well

cheeky comment: you made my detachable boss yet

clairetoo - 12/5/09 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
i bet your fury HASN'T seen soap and water for that long as well

It dont need a wash - I did it last year