Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: steering wheels, what am i allowed????
eddie

posted on 16/9/03 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
steering wheels, what am i allowed????

just curious about steering wheels,

i seem to recall i'm not allowed 'perforated spokes' , so does this meen i can not use somthing like the one in the pic below:

(to me the drillings into the spokes are perforations)

or am i

1. confused and barking up the wrong tree?
  2. correct?

its just i have a spare one in the shed

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie

posted on 16/9/03 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
damn pic didnt come out... Rescued attachment mk4_hole.jpg
Rescued attachment mk4_hole.jpg

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Viper

posted on 16/9/03 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
sorry mate thats a fail unles you cover the spokes

stephen_gusterson

posted on 16/9/03 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
id recommend you use the donor wheel, as it complies as a tested assembly.

If you dont, you have to convince tester its sva compliant - ie, padded, not finger or jewelry traps, etc.

get the pass, then change it!

atb

steve

Browser

posted on 17/9/03 at 12:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

get the pass, then change it!

neatly encapsulating why certain parts of the SVA test are a joke! Don't get me wrong, I think most of it is a good idea as it has forced the standard of cars produced upwards as far as safety is concerned but the fact remains that there is an awful lot of 'just get it through and then change the steering wheel/front indicators/wheels/seats/dashboard/lights/engine/whole car!' going on.

Rob Lane

posted on 17/9/03 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Is that a complaint? Would you prefer it that the car was very strictly controlled and NO other work be carried out on the car unless you paid a further fee to get it approved?

That's what happens in some EU countries for any vehicle!
Any mods on any car, even fitting alloy wheels requires a re-inspection, re-test and another fee.

There are a few die hards in those countries who are not put off and will go all out to achieve their dream, but most give up when they read the requirements for building!

We are somewhat lucky over here and have controls in place, SVA, MOT, but they are not perfect. In EU countries, rather than perfect them, they just add complete bars to building.

Our antipodean friends have controls in place and more updated controls have been added, BUT at a cost to the builder not the testers!!
Engine regs so strict that it would cost thousands of dollars to use anything but the latest emission controlled, strangulated, castrated engine.
I have to admire what they go through to achieve 'rego' even when more obstacles are put in their way.

No, I'm personally happy with the controls we have, after all if looked at carefully they at least can be complied with without too much effort.

Rob Lane

Spyderman

posted on 17/9/03 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Browser

The SVA is no different to the annual MOT.
The car is only deemed fit at the time of testing.

You could get an MOT and then go home and put your slicks back on. If you are stopped by the law you will be done.

I'm sure if you were really silly and annoyed the boys in blue they could book you for using non approved parts on your car if changed after SVA.
As it is they use discression and so things can be changed within reason.
Complaining about priviliges soon gets them taken away!

Terry

Spyderman

Browser

posted on 17/9/03 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Story of my life this, I'm always misunderstood! I wan't complaining, just pointing out how ridiculous life can be sometimes! Just for the record, as plans stand I intend to get my car through using a donor wheel and then change it soon after.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.