Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dial position
jabbahutt

posted on 3/4/07 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
dial position

Hi

just starting to make a mock up of my dash and would be grateful for some advice.
I understand that the steering wheel shouldn't obscure any dials, does it matter if the dial concerned isn't need as a legal requirement such as a rev counter?

Any advice/diagrams to explain where I can put dials etc much appreciated.

Cheers
Nigel

graememk

posted on 3/4/07 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
i didnt have room for any there, all i have behind my steering wheel is a bright 6.

jabbahutt

posted on 3/4/07 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
sorry my previous post wasn't particularly clear. I intend to put all my dials in the centre of the dash.
Two large then samller underneath. However I think that when my hands are on the wheel some of the dials to the right won't be entirely visible such as rev counter due to edge of wheel/my arm.
I believe legally you only need a speedo so I was going to put that on the left so always visible.
is there any regulation stating dials shouldn't be oscured even a small amount by edge of steering wheel/arm in normal driving postion.

Thanks and sorry if that isn't particularly clear.

BenB

posted on 3/4/07 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
It's best practice not to have dials obscured by the wheel (after all, what's the point of having a dial if you can't see it most of the time)... but if its a non-essential one its not a problem AFAIR....

I passed SVA with the indicator, fog, low brake fluid etc lights visable through the steering wheel. doesn't mean all SVA examiners would pass it mind.....

Somewhere out the on the net there's a dashboard designing tool..... Can't remember where now....

BenB

posted on 3/4/07 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Here we go!!

http://www.westfield-world.com/dashdesigner.html

02GF74

posted on 3/4/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
for SVA you only need some means to indicate speed, usally this is by a speedometer guage.

put the most important tell-tales (lamps) and guages in such a pplace that is easy to read when driving normalluy i.e. don;t have them a long way out of sigh e.g. on passenger dash panel.

so, IMO important guages are: rev counter and speedo.
important tell tales oil presure lamp.

least important are fuel guage, volt meter.

if you can squeeze rev counter and speedo behind steering wheel but still visible, then good.

below is one I made earlier; although the photo doesn;t show it, there is both rev counter and speedo visible thourgh the steering wheel. You can see the further left you go, the lesser importance the guage has.

like wise with swtiches - you want the headlamp switch easily accessible in the dark! Rescued attachment DSC01177.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC01177.JPG

02GF74

posted on 3/4/07 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
and the dash viewed through sterring wheel Rescued attachment DSC01088.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC01088.JPG

James

posted on 3/4/07 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
With a GTS scuttle and an OMP steering wheel I managed to get Speedo, Rev Gauge and Bright Six behind the wheel.

At the end of the day I asked the question on here and people who've actually finished their cars mostly said it was a pain having them off-set on the dash.

So mine went behind the wheel.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

caber

posted on 3/4/07 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
02GF74 what was wrong with the original dash location in the centre? Landy speedos are hardly necessary and never that accurate. My 2A speedo works for a while then the needle starts swinging violently then gently returns to the bottom stop! The thing can't make 70 and its a rare day if it gets upto 30 in traffic

Caber

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.