Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anti theft
joolsmi16

posted on 18/3/07 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
anti theft

Apart from a steering lock which I haven't got, what other methods are out to satisfy SVA with the two forms of anti theft?

I have an immobilised alarm but no paper work to say what it is, can show it works and I have the ignition barrel/key from the donor bike but looking for other options in case thats no enough.

Also when do you have a inspection from the DVLA before or after SVA??

Thanks

flak monkey

posted on 18/3/07 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
The immobiliser and key should be enough. As long as you can prove it works.

If you want something else you can fit a cut-off switch in the main battery cable to the start motor.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

ReMan

posted on 18/3/07 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joolsmi16
Apart from a steering lock which I haven't got, what other methods are out to satisfy SVA with the two forms of anti theft?

I have an immobilised alarm but no paper work to say what it is, can show it works and I have the ignition barrel/key from the donor bike but looking for other options in case thats no enough.

Also when do you have a inspection from the DVLA before or after SVA??
Thanks

As far aI am aware, there is no requirement for documentation for your alarm and of course your ignition key is the second method.
DVLA inspection is before or after SVA it may depend on your local office, but it should'nt. Get one as soon as you like, some do home visits before its anywhere near finished.

BenB

posted on 18/3/07 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I'd fit an isolation switch on the main +ve battery cable. It ensures you don't have battery drain when the ignition switch is off, is easy to fit, useful when working on the car (particularly anything to do with the starter solenoid etc)... generally a good idea....
richard thomas

posted on 18/3/07 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Believe it or not, the removeable steering wheel that was fitted at time of SVA test was identified by the tester as a form of anti-theft!!

blakep82

posted on 18/3/07 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
Believe it or not, the removeable steering wheel that was fitted at time of SVA test was identified by the tester as a form of anti-theft!!

here's a question though, is it not supposed to be that the engine can't be started if the steering wheel is not on?

how did that work?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

nitram38

posted on 18/3/07 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas

here's a question though, is it not supposed to be that the engine can't be started if the steering wheel is not on?

how did that work?

No requirement for it to be this way.
Either 2 electrical forms of anti-theft or one mechanical and one electrical required.
A steering lock/ign barrel is enough, but seeing as I don't like steering locks, I have an Fia key with toad immobiliser and a removeable steering wheel.
The fia switch and immobiliser was all that I needed to pass, but any combination would have done it.

flak monkey

posted on 18/3/07 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
There is an SVA requirement that neither anti theft device can be activated with the engine running. Common sense really.

If you have a removeable steering wheel that can be removed with the engine running then you are risking a failure.

David

Sera

nitram38

posted on 18/3/07 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
It passed
flak monkey

posted on 18/3/07 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I know yours passed, but you must have been lucky.

This is what the SVA manual says in the reasons for failure for anti-theft and to me that says that if you can activate a mechanical anti-theft device (which is what a removable wheel is) while the engine is running it should fail.

David Rescued attachment 11.jpg
Rescued attachment 11.jpg

Sera

nitram38

posted on 18/3/07 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
If I already have two electrical anti-theft devices then perhaps the removeable steering wheel is not regarded as one and therefore cannot fail.

There isn't a removeable wheel on the market that cuts ignition.

blakep82

posted on 18/3/07 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
should be posible to make a steering wheel which will not allow the engine to start if removed.

For a horn push on the steering wheel, is a curly wire ok wrapped around the collumn? If so, that could be used as half of the circuit and maybe the collumn itself can make the other half. therefore when the wheel is attached and the curly wire plugged in the rest of the circuit is complete. wired in as part of the key switch, if the wheel is removed with the engine running, the engine would stop running.

I can't see any problems here, can anyone else?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

nitram38

posted on 19/3/07 at 04:14 AM Reply With Quote
Only that you need an umbilical cord or a quick release with contacts.
Colnago_Man

posted on 20/3/07 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
If you fit an isolation switch on the +ve battery lead does the switch need to be hidden away in the engine bay so it cannot be activated while driving?
nitram38

posted on 20/3/07 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Colnago_Man
If you fit an isolation switch on the +ve battery lead does the switch need to be hidden away in the engine bay so it cannot be activated while driving?

No

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.