Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: exhaust can edge?
02GF74

posted on 2/9/06 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
exhaust can edge?

quickie. I have removed my exhaust guard due to not being sure if SVA man would be happy so if it is not there, it cannot fail.

but the exhaust can itself - believe it is caterham? is a piece of steel made into a tube with the round end bits welded in a bit offset so the rolled part projects i.e. a possible edge problem?

exhaust can edge
exhaust can edge

will fitting some rubber trim be ok or will that melt? The exhaust is discoloured near the manifold where it leaves the
body work and I don't suspect that is will get hot enough but may be hot enough for the rubber to soften and drop off?

if this is a problem, then any ideas as to what to do?

cct7kitcars

posted on 2/9/06 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
yes the welded edges are not 2.5mm radius so a fail

joe

cct7kitcars

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Chardonnay in one hand, Tequila in the other, body bearing battle scars and totally worn out, screaming- WOO HOO!! What a Ride!

stevec

posted on 2/9/06 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Looks a bit sharp to me.
SVA man may not like rubber trim.
Steve.

cct7kitcars

posted on 2/9/06 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
i use rummer trim and never had a problem

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Chardonnay in one hand, Tequila in the other, body bearing battle scars and totally worn out, screaming- WOO HOO!! What a Ride!

ReMan

posted on 2/9/06 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Some of this? Rescued attachment 181_8114sml.jpg
Rescued attachment 181_8114sml.jpg

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Guinness

posted on 2/9/06 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Newcastle SVA failed me on the sharp edges on my exhaust, specifically the springs holding the downpipes together, the bolt on the exhaust clamp and the exhaust mounting bracket.

Before the SVA I'd covered them all in rubber trim, but the tester said not suitable material as it would melt and fall off. Needed to look permanent.

Mike

RoadkillUK

posted on 2/9/06 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
We have the same can I think, from Lolocost.

We fitted rubber edging to the front and back of the can and used a squash ball on the mount.

This was the second attempt at SVA, one of the fails was the sharp edges on the exhaust. HTH

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 2/9/06 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
MK Engineering get around this by using conical and radiused edges on the reducer... it also helps to displace muck and crud from collecting.

whitestu

posted on 2/9/06 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
My exhaust has a standard Westfield heat shield which makes the exhaust edge and mounting non contactable.

Presumably Westfields pass the SVA with this so I would have thought getting hold of one would be an easy way to satisfy the SVA.

[Edited on 2/9/06 by whitestu]

asn163

posted on 2/9/06 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Will fail as it is.

We used MK's can with CAT and that failed. Tried rubber U trim and that melted on way to SVA. Got quite alarming when we called for petrol and exhaust started to smoke as we were filling up.

SVA tester suggested that the edge of the can could be built up to form a larger radius by running a couple of welds around the inner and outer edge. Would need to be a pretty good welder though.

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.