Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel filler cap orientation
JohnN

posted on 1/4/05 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel filler cap orientation

I have a lockable, aero filler cap that ideally would be mounted externally on the back panel, however, space doesn't permit a 90 deg bend between the panel and the filler neck on the top of the tank.

The easiest solution seems to be to mount it on the boot lid, vertically above the tank fill pipe. However, I hear that SVA don't like this??

I've checked the regs and the only reference seems to be a requirement to withstand forces, vibration and the environment - rain?? (although the example given is of a corrosive environment)

Does anybody have any first hand experience/knowledge of the acceptability of mounting the filler cap on the boot lid??

JohnN

Humbug

posted on 1/4/05 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I would also be interested in other people's views, as I have the same issue and was planning to put the cap vertically above the tank like you. I am sure I have seen pictures of other cars like that...
givemethebighammer

posted on 1/4/05 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
I just mounted mine in the top of the tank and have a removable flap to get to it. SVA didn't look twice at it. Rescued attachment fuelfiller.jpg
Rescued attachment fuelfiller.jpg

Hellfire

posted on 1/4/05 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ours was on the lid too - the next will be on the lid aswell. SVA never batted an eyelid!

JohnN

posted on 2/4/05 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, on the lid it is then - any ideas for a material for the lid?? I'm thinking of something inert, about 6mm thick & machinable, ie a rounded edge and not plywood? - any particular type of plastic I should look out for??

Thanks

John

Northy

posted on 2/4/05 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Mine too! No probs at SVA. Rescued attachment 5Rear.jpg
Rescued attachment 5Rear.jpg

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 3/4/05 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
what if it rains? does water not sit in the o-ring round the top? can you only fill up when the car is dry?

tom

Peteff

posted on 3/4/05 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
How much water is it going to hold?

I don't think I'd worry about it too much

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.