Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust Sharp Edges
Mark Allanson

posted on 8/3/05 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust Sharp Edges

Do the securing bands on a silencer class as sharp edges?

Mine are 1.2mm stainless, and I have filed the edges over to 45°, but I still think there may be a problem. I have seem cars with edging strip, but I think this would probably melt.

Any suggestions? Rescued attachment Exhaust Sharp Edges.JPG
Rescued attachment Exhaust Sharp Edges.JPG

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Peteff

posted on 8/3/05 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldn't do if you can't get your fingernail under them. Put some exhaust bandage round them if you're worried.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/3/05 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
They are very tight to the silencer, and you can rub your hand over they without any risk to your skin

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

clbarclay

posted on 8/3/05 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
You could make a heat sheild like the Ron Champion books,sheilds heat and sharp edges on the can.

Marcus

posted on 8/3/05 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust bands should be fine, SVA bloke says if it's more than 3mm proud, it needs a radius, if smaller, just needs 'blunting'.

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JonBowden

posted on 8/3/05 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
according to my copy of the SVA manual, exterior projections more than 5mm require a 2.5 mm radius. Projections of more than 1.5 mm but less than 5mm require to be blunted.

Yours seem to dfinately be less than 5 mm so your blunting should be fine.

Note, there may be some question about whether my manual is complete. Someone here implied that it was just an amendment. It calls it self a draft copy and has 178 pages

Jon

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/3/05 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good to me - Thanks

flak monkey

posted on 8/3/05 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden
Note, there may be some question about whether my manual is complete. Someone here implied that it was just an amendment. It calls it self a draft copy and has 178 pages

It is just the ammendments that were realeased last year to cover the ESVA, and some other stuff for the normal SVA. I have a copy of that too....I understand the actual manual is quite large!

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

givemethebighammer

posted on 8/3/05 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Mark I wrapped some 5mm rubber floor matting in heat proof cloth (woven glass one side aluminium the other). I then used copper wire to attach the things round the silencer, clamp etc. Looked crap but stayed on for the duration of the test without melting (few strange smells though).

Funny it fell off about 30 mins after the SVA was over though ?

Hellfire

posted on 9/3/05 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
Ours was worse than that as we used the industrial toggle clips (double banded) and it passed with no problems...

Lightning

posted on 9/3/05 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
At Exeter, he didn't check mine very closely.

Steve

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/3/05 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning
At Exeter, he didn't check mine very closely.

What with the thickness less than 1.5mm and exeter no being too fussy, I think I will leave them as they are. If I get a fail on them, I will take up some temporary permanent thing to put it right

NS Dev

posted on 10/3/05 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
according to my copy of the SVA manual, exterior projections more than 5mm require a 2.5 mm radius. Projections of more than 1.5 mm but less than 5mm require to be blunted.

I downloaded that too, not sure on how it compares to the full manual, but anything so far mentioned on here has been in it! Seems to cover all areas in some detail, but as you say, it's a draft. I think it will get you close enough to go for the test.

helen & phill

posted on 10/3/05 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I just bought my copy of the manual the other day and it says exactly that

http://www.velocityxt.co.uk/

NS Dev

posted on 16/3/05 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
referring to the bit from the SVA manual above, how is a "protrusion" classified?

If I put my cynical hat on, surely the whole exhaust is a protrusion of more than 5mm, in which case the edges need the right radius!

If I put my logical hat on, the exhaust is the outer part of the car and so the rule applies to that................but then since when has the SVA test been logical.....................can't have an uncovered bolt on the exhaust but the fact that it will burn anybody that touches it doesn't matter!!!!!!!!!

clbarclay

posted on 16/3/05 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
This my logical opinion and for all i know colud be very illogical.

The exhoust can is a protrusion and has the correct radious. The exhaust straps are a protrusion from the exhaust can protrusion, and there for are protrusion in there own right and considered seperately to the rest of the exhaust.

May be total codswalop buyt sounds good to me.

NS Dev

posted on 19/3/05 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
had a read of the SVA manual (again) the other day and it seems side exhausts are classed as the "edge of the car" and checked with the cone thingy to assess floorline, so the strap would be the only protrusion.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.