Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Seatbelt mount/seat height again
James

posted on 1/12/04 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Seatbelt mount/seat height again

Could someone explain to me the gen with the seatbelt mounts please.

With the seats in the driving postion, the seat belt hole is 1" taller and 4" away from the upper chassis rail.

Is this a shallow enough angle? Or is it not relative to the seat hole but to the driver's shoulder? Or just the height from the seat cushion? If it's to the seat hole then I don't understand the business with removing your seat cushion.

Thanks,
confused of Guildford.

James

Mk-Ninja

posted on 1/12/04 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
James.

Its the angle between the seat belt anchor and the shoulder of the driver that matters. The belts must slope down to the shoulder.
To test this they use a pole on a base to represent an average person.
Ill email you a diagram if you need it that explains how to get the height right.

Gordon

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

bob

posted on 1/12/04 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
James

do you want to borrow my old SVA manual ?

planetester

posted on 1/12/04 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ive been looking at this for some time, Ive got a stuart taylor chassis & it has it upper anchorages welded to the upper chassis rail, when I asked ian grey if they would pass an sva test, he said ' just about'
having read the sva manual & looked at various EEc regulations Ive come up with the following..
the sva man has a block measuring 53mm high & 136mm wide which he sits in the car seat( remember that most car seat cusions are not horizontal), the upper forward corner of the block is then referred to as the reference point ( the eec regs say that this is the pivot point of the hip), the anchorage must be at least 450mm above this point. so for my chassis, (and all book chassis) without a seat fitted, if I put the said block straight onto the floor, because that is horizontal, its forward corner will be 53mm high, so the anchorage must be 450mm above this,53+450+503mm, if I measure virtically from my floor to the top of my back rail I have 520mm.

so I have 17mm to fit my seat, the only option I can see is a fibreglass seat with no cushion at all(ouch)

so when the time is right for my sva, can anyone lend me a pair of fibreglass seats ( only joking) & then when Ive passes I can fit what I want,

well that was a load of garbage, hope it helps someone

wicket

posted on 1/12/04 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Here's the diagram.

For lap/diagonal belts the upper mounting point must be at least 140mm horizontally from the longitudinal centre line of the seat.

[Edited on 2/12/04 by wicket] Rescued attachment seatbeltfix2.jpg
Rescued attachment seatbeltfix2.jpg

mookaloid

posted on 2/12/04 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
If you have the top belts going around the sides of the seat rather than through the holes at SVA time, I believe it is no longer an issue!

Cheers

Mark

[Edited on 2/12/04 by mookaloid]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.